Sponsored by:

Sequential shifters in ALMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003 | 11:33 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Post Sequential shifters in ALMS

Did you guys see the ALMS race from Road Atlanta? Cool footage of the AJR cars with sequential shifters. No clutch up shifts but they would barely touch it on the down shifts. Great stuff and one wonders when it will be in a Porsche street car.

Congrats to Schumacher Racing in Cincinnati Ohio for winning the Grand Am race at Mid Ohio this weekend. Larry Schumacher and BJ Zacarias made a great effort and ran a perfect race. Good job!
Old 06-29-2003 | 11:39 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

I saw that, Greg. It was very cool.

Bill Adam likened it (mistakenly I think) to Ferrari's and BMW's clutchless box. I thought it was just a standard sequential. I've raced a car with one that functioned like the P-car's. It was a lot of fun.
Never lift to upshift and a quick blip while downshifting. Hardest part was remembering what gear you're in as there is no pattern.

I was intrigued by all the left foot braking, or settling of the car in the video clip.
Old 06-30-2003 | 01:53 AM
dbelleperc
Racer

I also saw it. The announcers were saying Porsche is coming out with a full clutchless gearbox soon they were just testing the upshifts at road Atlanta.
Old 06-30-2003 | 02:02 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Greg:

My partner was involved in this development as has been the Crew Chief for the Alex Job #23 for several years.

These are OEM gearcases with Holinger sequential internals. They work just great and are far better than the old stuff,..... These were tested for many many race hours at Sebring before LeMans.

Cool stuff.
Old 06-30-2003 | 10:19 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike,
Bill Adam is a great racer but leaves a bit to be desired from the announcer's booth...

Steve,
Very cool that he was involved in this, wonder when it will be available (meaning affordable) to the rest of the field.
Old 06-30-2003 | 11:44 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Pretty incredible. I liked the in-car camera shot of the pedals and the footwork.
Old 06-30-2003 | 11:52 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

New Audi TT has double clutch. We know, that 997 model most probably will have double clutch also. We also know that Audi and Porsche are good partners. Any conclusions?

Audi website says:

2004 TT 3.2
Introducing the new 250 hp Audi TT 3.2. Outfitted with Audi's new race-inspired Direct Shift Gearbox—a double-clutch system with one clutch active and one in reserve for near-instantaneous shifts—and a naturally aspirated V6, the Audi TT is up for green lights and long straightaways. Responsive MacPherson struts up front make every TT an avid reader of roads and the sports paddle shifters accommodate extraordinarily rapid gear changes. Coming Fall, 2003.

For one experienced driver's perspective on Audi's latest and most powerful TT, visit AutoWeek online for a report from Indy 500 champ Danny Sullivan. Or read Car and Driver magazine's glowing review.
Register to learn more about the 2004 TT 3.2 in My Audi
Read the review in Car and Driver
Read the review in AutoWeek

<a href="http://www.audicanada.ca/future" target="_blank">http://www.audicanada.ca/future</a>
Old 06-30-2003 | 03:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Greg:

I don't know what the pricing will be, but I'll know pretty soon when Holinger will have that stuff available. It will be commenturate with the car and level of competition that these are used in,....

I too, have heard rumblings about the double clutch coming to the new cars. Porsche & Audi are sharing many things and technologies, these days. To wit; the Cayenne and the upcoming Pikes Peak SUV. The differences between marques seems to get blurrier over time.
Old 06-30-2003 | 04:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve,
In other words don't look for me to buy one soon for my race car...

Are changing gears in this box any more difficult than doing a regular GT3RS gear box?
The shift with out lift feature is way cool.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Sequential shifters in ALMS