Sponsored by:

Fuel filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

It is easy as long as you can separate the fittings. On mine, the fittings towards the rear of the car were a piece of cake. The fittings towards the front of the car were incredibly tight. In fact, I had to separate the fitting from the filter (the fitting that comes pre-installed on the filter) just to remove the old filter. This left me needing to separate the filter fitting from the flare nut. The position is such that it is difficult to get adequate leverage, and trust me, I tried lots of tricks. My airbox is out. Ultimately, one of my "leverage enhancers" caused some twisting which bent the upstream S-shaped fuel line. As this line is mandrel-bent for a reason, kinking it is obviously a problem. A new one is $76 with shipping from Pelican.

So, if you do run into the "stuck fitting" problem, I recommend you follow the hard fuel line back to the joint with the flexible line along the firewall and remove the S-shaped line there. Then you can disassemble the entire works on the bench without damaging anything.

Like most jobs on these cars, if it goes "right" it is straightforward. If not, it can be a PITA. Especially if you add in a dose of self-inflicted stupidity like me.

Jason

Quick Reply: Fuel filter change?