Sponsored by:

C2S vs Bmw Z4 vs Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned a Z4, but I've owned a M-Roadster - not one problem. This car was fun with all the traditional motor sounds and stopping power you would expect - and quicker than my Boxster S. The Boxster gives a totally different feel than the M and different still from a 993. You should drive them each one for more than just an hour to see if that car is for you. All 3 have great engine sounds but different. There is no doubt that the 993 has real appeal, classic styling and a more basic interior. The Z4 is more modern but would lack in performance. That being said the choices are down to two, 993 or S - drive them, smile, grin and then choose.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry-Anything over the Z4. I can't even stomach getting close enough to that hideous thing to test drive it. BARF. That things got more creases than a cheap suit.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Set aside some time to drive all three, if possible. You will know what car is for you.

I feel the Boxster is a really nice looking car. For some strange reason, I kinda like the Z4, but no comparrison to any 993 variant. Its all about the charisma, attitude and FEEL. Drive all three, then drive the 993 again and I am sure you'll see what all are talking about.

You dont necessarily need a 993 -S- to get wide hips. Yes, the S has wider hips, but narrow body 993's are sexy as well

The 993 -IS- pure quality and totally genuine sports car, through and through..

Most of all, have fun driving all you can.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If resale value is of any concern, the 993 will be the overwhelming winner in that catagory. There will however, be some maintenance costs with a mid-mileage 993 compared to a brand new anything else. All of us on this board have voted... with our wallets. Only a few have ever been disappointed. Z4s and Boxsters... they're all over the place. Dime a dozen. Garden variety (but excellent driving) sports cars. Their look has never appealed to me.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:04 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No mods done to worry about IMHO. In fact, on the contrary, makes the car more attractive IMO.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:23 PM
orcfromthesouth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive them all, obviously. The S is a very nice car. A few questions you may want to know if you focus on the 993:

Get the factory option list (bunch of codes printed in the manual). P-Car (www.p-car.com) has list for decoding. On board computer and limited slip diff are my favorites.
Service record. Oil used and frequency of changes at least.
Compression test at least. You are looking for even numbers in all 6 cyls. Someone else may tell you what pressure is normal (search this site).
Alignment. At least check front/rear alignment. Tire wear.
Chech for new bits of suspension. Its easy to hit the curb on a 993 (don't ask how I know!).
Check inside metal parts at the front. Look under spare and around battery. Good places to spot any work done.
Check for oil leaks (the undertray may hide them)

Ok. Run out of ideas.

Orc

Quick Reply: C2S vs Bmw Z4 vs Boxster S