Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch....!! More suspension questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005 | 11:02 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Default Ouch....!! More suspension questions....

OK...., OK..... I've spent the better part of the day (between grocery shopping, lunch and the NFL games) researching the threads revolving around "suspension upgrades" for our 993s.

I gotta tell ya.... I tho't I was convinced that HD Bilsteins and H&R springs were gonna be my choice, but then every time I looked at a thread, there was conflicting advice.

I'm very confused....!!

I have a 1996 C4S and would like it "lowered" to ROW or RS specs (if indeed those are different)... it could handle better as well. The car only has 27K on the clock, but I'm not happy with the ride.

Lowering it to 25.5 front and rear would be nice. I currently have the "high pockets" 26.5" front and rear.... looks terrible!

I don't "track the car" and never will. I want a car that is lowered, looks aggressive and handles well without a 'rough ride'..... Yeah, we've seen this before, eh.

So what's the set up? Bilstein HDs and H/Rs, MO3Os/Bilsteins from Viper Bob, Bilstein HDs and ROW springs, Gerts setup..... or what? I don't want to adjust nuttin'.... I wanna have these deals bolted on the car and drive it, so PSS9s are not what I want.

I guess the most confusing deal is.....Gerts couple more millimeters worth of threads vs the US Bilsteins (and I saw a post that said that the US will be getting the "Xtra treads" soon...). I think that lowering my car a FULL inch front and back would look terrific and still keep me from hittin' road killed squirrels, or scrapin' the paint off the spoiler. Ride can be firm, but I don't want HARSH!l

Have we discussed this before? "Many times, Grasshopper". Perhaps we can solve the problem for us folks who just drive our cars aggressively ON THE STREET and never on the track. We just want 'em lowered, looking great and riding fine.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:08 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Sounds like if you just want to lower an inch, going with the Bilstein HD's and M030 springs will be just right for you. Don't fret about the extra 30mm of thread, you won't need it if you are only wanting an inch of lowering. I have Bilsteins with the H&R's but I'm dropped lower than you would want (24 1/4 front, 24 1/2 rear)
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:09 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Didya see the poll post 3 weeks ago? Check out the results for people voting only for their preference of street driving.

best,
john
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:15 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Easy...Bilstein HD with ROW M030 springs..and enjoy.
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:23 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Only one progressive spring rate discussion among many

For me, this explains why this setup is right for my mostly street driving. Compliant enough at first compression, which yields a not harsh ride, but higher rate when called upon in the twisties. Best of both worlds. Lowered 1.25". Somebody posted all the spring rates once, but I did not look further.
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:49 PM
Rennlist Member

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong w/ the HD & RoW M030 setup.
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:52 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ROW M030, and don't forget the M030 sways! See my thread, "M030 my oh my" for my choice and results.
Old 01-17-2005 | 02:24 AM
Solitude
Racer

Hd -MO30. Very happy...
Old 01-17-2005 | 04:22 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I'm very confused....!!.....

I don't "track the car" and never will. I want a car that is lowered, looks aggressive and handles well without a 'rough ride'..... Yeah, we've seen this before, eh.

Hmmm! You need psychiatric help. You said a few times you are confused... plus you must have delusions.... will never track the car... indeed you need a shrink soon.

You can't go on like this! Perhaps a few DE's??
Old 01-18-2005 | 01:40 AM
smead42
Intermediate

Just Lowered mine today, 25 1/2 F&R. Bilstein HD and H&R. It will go lower but I didn't want to hit too many frogs and possums. Used springs - $200 Bilsteins Shox.com $1055. Install align $580.
Old 01-18-2005 | 09:29 AM
porschedriver
Track Day

I dont see any reason not to go for adjustables(more tha cost issue). The thing is not that you have to crawl under the car and adjust things every now and the.

The point is that you get what you want. You won´t end up installing something and reget it a month later due a too harsh ride fx. I have only adjusted my PSS9-s twice. 1st time when I installed them to find out a optimal street/track compromise and 2nd time when I changed to wider cup tyres all around and had to get the car less oversteered in turn-in.

So I would say that you dont go for adjustables for adjusting but you go for it to have option to change a little after purchase.
Old 01-18-2005 | 11:08 AM
texas911
Race Car

If I go Bilstein HD + M030, will I need to adjust the drop links? Or is it a straight swap?

Slippery Slope Bound.

Quick Reply: Ouch....!! More suspension questions....