993 Forum 1995-1998

HID's and Butler Tube Amp... Turned Out Nice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool HID's and Butler Tube Amp... Turned Out Nice

Well, after a few weekends of puddering around, I finnaly have the HID's (from the group buy) and a Butler 475 tube amp installed.

Per the many posts about the HID's, that went real smooth ! Thanks to all, especially BET for the DIY assist posts. Just have to align them tonight.

The Butler amp was a bit of a project. I switched from a Alpine V12 F407 to the Butler. The shop that installed the Alpine used a piece of MDF board with some bent steel brackets to the suspension towers. Now that would not do ! Now way to install the strut brace....

So, to continue in the good HWFM racing tradition, we had to fab something new.

Amp is now on a 3/16 aluminum, light weighted plate with Lexan cover and the strut brace is in.

Next time I have the carpet out, I will snap and post some pix.

For those who promoted the Butler, the stereo is much improved with am much more natural sound. In addition, the front boot is now up to par with no dang MDF up there and crude brackets !

Next stop is the head unit !

Too much fun...
Old 05-27-2003, 10:46 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Jim,

Glad to hear the install went smoothly.

I have been researching some stereo options. Do you have the Hifi option? Did you replace the speakers? If so what did you use? What about the head unit? Also do have link to info on the tube amp? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Brian:

My car does not have the Hifi Option. This allows me to use 6.5 in. separates without much hassle. After not liking the imaging of the aimed tweeter pod, I fabbed up my own mount for the tweeters such that I did not cut the door panel or sheet metal. I currently have Infinity Kappa "perfects", but plan to use the 6.5" Rainbow's to get more natural bass.

Presently I have the Alpine 7949. It is too "juke box" like and sounds sterile. I like to use pre-amp only decks. So, the head unit race boiled down to the 30th anniv. Alpine 7909 (Burr Brown Converters) or the Nakamichi CD-700. I picked up both units NIB off EBay in order to try both. After a sound off, I am going to use the Nak. I will hold onto the Alpine until the Nak proves itself road worthy then likely off it. The 7949 will head off to auction as soon as it gets pulled !

As far as the Butler goes, here is the link:

<a href="http://www.tubedriver.com" target="_blank">http://www.tubedriver.com</a>

The Butler is a REAL nice piece. Takes a few more seconds to come on, but very good sound.

Glad to help !
Old 05-27-2003, 11:01 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Couldn't agree more, Jim. I love the Butler tube amp!
Old 05-27-2003, 06:01 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jim,

The Butler amp looks awesome. Can't wait to hear yours the next time we meet for a Rennlist drive.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Eric:

Not only does the Butler look awesome, it sounds great and the build quality is top notch.

I will post pix soon. The last thing I did yesterday was test fit the trunk carpeting back in place. I did not want to take it out again just to snap a few photos...

Stay tuned.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:35 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the amp is under the carpet. Enough breathing room?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

One of the purposes of the lexan cover was to provide an air gap to let air circulate around the amp. There is clear passage down to the spare tire and then over the gas tank as the carpet is over the stress bar.

It should be enought, but time will tell
Old 05-28-2003, 12:11 PM
officemanager
Advanced

Butler's are awesome... I have the older tube full tube style 475 and 1500 in a coupe and cab respectably and they are unbeatable for soundstage and detailing...
I have a custom removable sub-enclosure on my rear seat <a href="http://ocdny.com" target="_blank">http://ocdny.com</a> but I think it is possible to get away without one...
DrZ on this board in Cali is just finishing an install with that in mind and before you rush to the Rainbows I think you should consider the Dyn 360's per DrZ [search board]:
MW 170 8" MSP woofer
MD 140 3" soft dome midrange
MD 100 1.1" neodymium dual magnet tweeter
with no subwoofer as the 8" should go down to 40 respectablly.

Or my personal thinking at the moment is:

Focal's NEW 8 inch 21V2 TRUE subwoofer.
Sealed box volume is 870 cubic inches.
-3 dB is at 41 hertz and would go great in the door. Considering maximum cone travel, recommended amplifier size is 200 watts and couple them with a set of Focal 136 2-way separates:
136mm (5-3/8") midbass
TN 51 tweeter
And then Bi-Amp
PS think about the 7989 Alpine HU. I assure you it is worth your listening I just bought a third one and listened across the board again first. The Nak is unreliable [do a search and see posts all over this board]. Email me directly if you think I can help you... purchase@detailgroup.com

Chris Wolf
Old 05-29-2003, 01:45 AM
DrZ
Racer

Install nearly complete. I will post next week hopefully with pictures.

Quick Reply: HID's and Butler Tube Amp... Turned Out Nice