993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recommentd a car carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 04:22 PM
timz

Post Anyone recommentd a car carrier?

I bought a p-car in New Mexico and need it shipped to Washington.

Anyone have recommendations for the shipper they have used before? Preferrably an enclosed carrier?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-23-2001, 05:47 PM
DonC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I shipped two cars from Atlanta and one from West Palm Beach to Albuquerque last December with Dependable Auto Shippers, Inc (DAS) 800-826-1083. All came through with no problems. Two were open carrier, but they insisted that my CLK430 go closed. I believe the cost was $1,100 for the closed shipment. They operate door to door or depot to depot.

Regards,

Don
Old 10-23-2001, 05:50 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Talk with Brian Buxton at Buxton Motorsports. He ships cars all the time and I am sure he can give you some suggestions both who to use and who to avoid. By the way, I have no affiliation with Buxton Motorsports.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:49 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
I used Intercity,(www.intercitylines.com) enclosed carrier, really first class. I had the least expensive car on the truck! They were not the cheapest but the care and service were outstanding. I could call and ask where my car was and how many more days to delv. I shipped from San Francisco to Chicago. Door to door service. be careful of depot to depot service, the cars get loaded and unloaded several times, each time someone gets in the car you have a risk. Forget about a open carrier you dont know what will happen! I have no affiliation with intercity but would use them again in a second
Their phone is 1-800-221-3936
Old 10-23-2001, 08:34 PM
momoC4S
Rennlist Member

Tim -

I used Thomas Sunday this past August to ship a C4S from Denver to Baltimore. Door to door and two layers of covering to protect from drips from the upper row of cars, and enclosed trailer. They seem to have a weekly run West to East that really helped.

I also checked with Intercity but their scheduling just didn't work out for me.

Both of these companies advertise in the Porsche Pano.

Morgan
Old 10-23-2001, 08:56 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

I second the endorsement for Intercity, they did a flawless/on time job for me.

Doug
Old 10-23-2001, 08:58 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

One word of caution. I shipped my car from the East Coast to the West and somewhere in the process, either the flatbed that took my car to the main shipping truck's location or the shipper himself wrapped some tie-downs around my rear a-arm. When I took my car in for its 30K service, I found my a-arm had been bent and needed to be replaced.

Ergo, make sure to alert your car carrier of this risk. Asking around the service shops in California, it sounds like I'm not the only one who has had this problem.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:11 PM
Jason C.
Advanced

I just used Passport Transport to ship my 993 and WRX from Chicago to Newport Beach. About $1500/car enclosed. Driver was great. Took good cars of the cars, was available by cell phone to check status. Would use them again.

Jason C.

Quick Reply: Anyone recommentd a car carrier?