993 Forum 1995-1998

Beware of dealer in St. Louis...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:05 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motodoc43
I was looking through reviews and found another thread discussing them, so I joined the forum to answer, and couldn't find the original thread I was looking at, this was close so I answered here. I'm in west Texas, not related to them. Looking at a car they have, thus looking for reviews. I don't think any business should be lied about in a negative light, thus my defense of them.

I don't read 'lies'. I read people expressing their honest opinions, just as you have.

As an aside, this thread was so dead and buried, I've never heard of them until now..... and now I think they are sketchy.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSnake99
I don't read 'lies'. I read people expressing their honest opinions, just as you have.

As an aside, this thread was so dead and buried, I've never heard of them until now..... and now I think they are sketchy.
Yes....when s%$t is stirred and turned over it stinks.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Motodoc43
4th Gear

The posts were lies because1. I went directly to the BBB site and what was said about it was false.
2. What was said about deposits was false because the business will not take deposits.
I'm done go ahead and kick me out. You all are ridiculous.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The posts were lies because1. I went directly to the BBB site and what was said about it was false.
2. What was said about deposits was false because the business will not take deposits.
Take care
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Ok, numerous threads here, I guess people can say anything they want online. So, go to BBB St. Louis website and you will find an A+ rating without complaints. As for not returning deposits, they will not take a deposit. As for inspection, anyone buying a classic car should see the car in person and get a reliable pre-purchase inspection before making the decision. And, Daniel Schmitt recommends this.
And regarding their telling re car history and condition, I have found them to be very honest, telling for example "this is a solid class three driver and this is what is wrong with it". Even had a salesman tell me he was disappointed with a car when he got it in, and that the mileage was believed to be correct but not documented.I would say they are very honest.
I was looking through reviews and found another thread discussing them, so I joined the forum to answer, and couldn't find the original thread I was looking at, this was close so I answered here. I'm in west Texas, not related to them. Looking at a car they have, thus looking for reviews. I don't think any business should be lied about in a negative light, thus my defense of them.
So, you were looking for a car, found one on Schmitt's website, decided to do more research on the internet about Schmitt, discovered this thread on Rennlist, became a registered user here and elected to revive a nearly fifteen year old thread to defend a car dealer that you had previously never heard of and obviously have no direct experience with simply because the BBB's record of the dealership goes against the myriad issues that have been reported by many consumers over numerous years? Right.

FYI, Schmitt had, at one time, forty plus complaints on BBB's site. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tml#post116644 Sounds like the bad reviews got scrubbed. Additionally, a quick Google search on the dealership reveals a deep history of issues across many marques.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:47 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This dealer D. Schmitt & Co Classic Car Gallery have only been BBB accredited since 12/16/2005. The issues reported in this thread date back well before then. Funny how the two 'good' reviews on BBB have only been posted recently, the most recent being last month. Seems like a PR offensive in full swing........

https://www.bbb.org/stlouis/business...and-complaints
Old 01-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Tombstone....Doc Holiday standing over Johny Ringos body saying..."Poor soul. Im afraid he was just too high strung."

That scene came to mind reading your last post.

Its almost impossible to pull the wool over Rennlist members eyes.Too many incredibly astute Porsche owners checking the stories out. And with a mod like Mark you stand absolutely no chance at all. None.

Wish I could say its been nice...but you brought this on yourself.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:56 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm in west Texas
I hear there is company in Texas called Victory Motor Sports who sells Porchas. You might be better served working with them since they are more local to you. And don't believe the negative reviews you read about them; they told me they were all made up by competitors

I don't think any business should be lied about in a negative light
So if I'm reading your quote correctly, one should only "lie about a business" in a positive light.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:19 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The Schmitt reputation and ownership goes back two generations. And it's legendary here in St. Louis. Buyer beware, indeed.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

What is this, middle skool?

Andreas
Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
What is this, middle skool?
Andreas
Nope...Even worse...It's social media at its finest.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 AM
12mpg
Advanced

Default BBB

Ok, numerous threads here, I guess people can say anything they want online. So, go to BBB St. Louis website and you will find an A+ rating without complaints. As for not returning deposits, they will not take a deposit. As for inspection, anyone buying a classic car should see the car in person and get a reliable pre-purchase inspection before making the decision. And, Daniel Schmitt recommends this.
The Better Business Bureau will take money from a company to make bad reviews go away.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

That is truly sad. A dealership can't afford to hire an English-speaking forum troll.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

One needs only to search other automobile forums for information about this "dealership". As mentioned above, the father, Charles Schmitt had a Rolls Royce dealership many years ago and dealt in other exotics. He advertised in Hemmings with flowery descriptions that read like J. Peterman on Seinfeld (LOL). Obviously, he taught his son well.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
The Schmitt reputation and ownership goes back two generations. And it's legendary here in St. Louis. Buyer beware, indeed.
We don't need the BBB. We only need the BB. This is good enough for me!

Quick Reply: Beware of dealer in St. Louis...