Beware of dealer in St. Louis...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 11:59 PM
Mark Fig.
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Beware of dealer in St. Louis...

I know these guys are usually selling Porsche's:

This is from the St. Louis Business Journal:The Better Business Bureau of Eastern Missouri and Southern Illinois is urging consumers to be wary of doing business with Daniel Schmitt & Co., which also operates as Classic Car Gallery.

The company is located at 3455 N. Lindbergh in St Ann, Mo. The Better Business Bureau said it has received more than 30 complaints in the past four years from customers alleging improper sales tactics, failure to provide prompt refunds or reimbursements and selling vehicles not in the condition advertised.

The company has told the Better Business Bureau that customers are buying the cars sight unseen, and that it would request customers personally inspect the cars in its future Internet advertising

JUST FYI

Mark

Old 09-11-2001, 02:34 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't consider a car from Schmitt unless I had personal knowledge of its history & then, only after a complete independent PPI and body shop inspection ... and I'd still be really nervous! Of course, others' opinions may differ -
Old 06-25-2002, 12:37 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

I purchased an older 911 from them and my brother in law also purchased a 95 928, for what it's worth both of the cars were in excellent condition. I did however hear they were holding deposits for a long period of time when people backed out of their purchase. The old 911 I had was also checked by a certified porsche mechanic and the only thing he noticed was brake wear. One last thing I know about the company is they have a certified porsche mechanic working on all their cars. Just my 2 cents. I would definately have any car checked out by a body shop and a reputable mechanic. I fortunately got lucky with my 993 it was purchased from a guy in florida and was a one owner car with all the records.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:19 PM
SteveL1
Instructor

I've not bought a car from them, but i do frequently stop by to see what's on the floor. I just get the ******* every time I talk to one of the sales people there. They always have some story about how perfect the car is or who use to own it, or something. It would have to be a REALLY good deal for me to hand any cash over to them!

Sad part is that it's one of the only places in St. Louis where you can see a variety of exotics at one time. Not like Fort Lauderdale or Miami!
Old 06-25-2002, 07:43 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Thats' true St.Louis does not have a ton of places to see these types of cars. Daniel Scmitt has two 930 Turbo Slantnose from the factory with mileage in the low 30's and 40's which is pretty rare. But I agree maybe they need a new line of salesman. Because I see a gold tooth sparkle everytime I look around.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:44 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Are any of the St.Louis owners PCA St. Louis members? I know Dan is, I am looking to join just to see the other cars and modifications done. And different events.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:48 PM
FELKER
Racer

I am not a memeber of the STL, but the Lincoln Trails (central IL)region, but do the Driver's ed events with them. The STL club is a great bunch of people, and well worth the price of PCA dues..

The nextg driver's ed in July 27-28 at Gateway.

<a href="http://www.pca.org/stl" target="_blank">www.pca.org/stl</a>
Old 06-25-2002, 11:54 PM
christian
Racer

I have heard lots of stories about them, they trade mostly Porsche and Ferrari. Please be aware that they are selling on ebay (I think carsschmitt or so right now) and they have changed their username a few times. Their speciality is odometer fraud.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Motodoc43
4th Gear

Ok, numerous threads here, I guess people can say anything they want online. So, go to BBB St. Louis website and you will find an A+ rating without complaints. As for not returning deposits, they will not take a deposit. As for inspection, anyone buying a classic car should see the car in person and get a reliable pre-purchase inspection before making the decision. And, Daniel Schmitt recommends this.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Motodoc43
4th Gear

And regarding their telling re car history and condition, I have found them to be very honest, telling for example "this is a solid class three driver and this is what is wrong with it". Even had a salesman tell me he was disappointed with a car when he got it in, and that the mileage was believed to be correct but not documented.I would say they are very honest.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 AM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

I hate to tell you this, but bumping a FOURTEEN year old thread to defend a dealer probably does more to highlight the negative reputation than it does to dispel it.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

^^^Highly suspicious. Two hairs from a deletion due to "non member selling" Why would a newbie user bring this up other than to schill for the Danny Schmitt company?

Time will tell.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSnake99
I hate to tell you this, but bumping a FOURTEEN year old thread to defend a dealer probably does more to highlight the negative reputation than it does to dispel it.
This. Mod, I would leave it up for reason above.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Motodoc43
4th Gear

I was looking through reviews and found another thread discussing them, so I joined the forum to answer, and couldn't find the original thread I was looking at, this was close so I answered here. I'm in west Texas, not related to them. Looking at a car they have, thus looking for reviews. I don't think any business should be lied about in a negative light, thus my defense of them.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Motodoc43
I don't think any business should be lied about in a negative light, thus my defense of them.
How do you know the posts were lies? Why would you defend a business you know absolutely nothing about...unless you are part of that business.

Necro threads are sometimes humorous but most of the time tedious. Members have been here and done that. You are looking for references...start a new thread.

Quick Reply: Beware of dealer in St. Louis...