993 Forum 1995-1998

Say goodbye to my 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krburrell
I'm hoping my insurance company gives me fair value for the car. I don't think I'll be getting another 993 anytime soon.
Sorry to hear about your story. Good luck with your insurance! I hope they will give you enough to buy another one.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:05 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I know a couple of guys who survived this kind of accident and went out and bought the biggest truck they could"
glad to hear you are ok. physics was never my best subject, but it seems to me that if a 993 would have rolled than any truck in the same set of circumstances would also have rolled. i hate the SUV craze (it just makes the roads more dangerous for everyone); i hope you do not decide to join the insanity.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Agreed, mborkow. I was just pointing out some people's reaction to fear of a repeat, and why they opt for accident survival. Little regard for center of gravity or coefficient of friction in avoiding the accident to begin with. Invincible.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:24 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I totaled my 95 C2 coupe (25k miles) last spring (an old woman in a minivan pulled right across my path when I was doing 45 mph), I was damn glad I was driving it and not my girlfriend's Audi. The bodyshop manager concurred. He couldn't believe I walked away without a scratch. I'll always have a 911 now.

As far as valuation, the Black Book Cars of Particular Interest will be your best friend; your bodyshop guy or friendly dealer will have it; have them xerox the appropriate pages and cover for you, and get them to your insurance agent after their first offer, along with similar cars from dealers nationwide near or above that figure. My insurer upped their offer to me by almost $8k once I did that (I found 10 cars at places like Holt, RPM, Panorama, etc. that were in line with the CPI figure). Their second offer was right at the CPI figure.

For what it's worth, the CPI number on your car last spring, in "excellent" condition was $42,500.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Glad you are both okay. I too hope that you get back to a 993 soon. As my needs have changed for transportation, I have tried, in vain, to find another vehicle that I feel as safe in. No luck. I drove a 99 Range Rover and was struck by how top-heavy they are. I feel extremely safe in a 993 because of the superior engineering, braking, power and handling. I can think of a whole bunch of "close calls" in the last year or so where I was left saying, "Thank God I was in a Porsche!" I am sure that has gone through your head recently as well...

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:32 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Keith,
Sorry to hear of your accident, but very glad of the outcome--it is wonderful that you both walked away. A rollover is a very traumatic experience. I was a passenger in one many years ago, and I still remember it vividly. If you need a comparison for insurance purposes, I have a 1996 Carrera 4 for sale on autotrader, and it is in SoCal if your adjuster needs to inspect one.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:04 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I rolled in that manner and walked away from it, I'd be damn sure to buy another!

Oh well, more for me....!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:20 PM
johnwelch
Advanced

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but glad that you and the GF were able to walk away.

These cars are so well built , it's scary. I had the misfortune to go off the road about in the rain 3 years ago in my 95. I hit the curb at about 30 mph, and went down the embankment on the other side. After doing my best road rally impression the only real damage was to the rims. After a quick check around the car I got back in and drove home. Last I checked the impact mark was still visible on the curb where I hit it.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:02 PM
solsrch
Pro

Good news that you both could walk away intact and okay!
A women in a Honda CRV cut me off in my 930 a few years ago, no way to avoid the accident. Her car rolled 270 degrees, mine didn't even crack the windshield (the front fenders and hood were crumpled, front suspension needed replacement). I'm a 911 believer. After the USS STARK survived being hit by two Exocets, countries wanted that ship that could get hit and still survive. There is a lot to be said for engineering that proves its value under adversity.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:16 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear that you and your passenger walked away from this OK. Good luck with your insurance company.

Do consider another 993. This one probably saved you.

chuck
Old 01-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default A Question?

What type tires and air pressure were you using and what what was the remaining tread on the tires?.....also did you have a LS/ABD?....have you been to a driving school....i.e. like the "Porsche Experience? "

Glad all survived.....glad you were in a Porsche!

Give a Porsche another chance
Old 01-12-2005, 12:16 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keith---

pushing 'it' a bit i hit some water on the 110fwy last night... broken water main in the roadway (w/ top down). very scary & made me think of this thread.

by any chance... (sorry, not meant to offend) do you have any pics of your car you could post? just wondered how the roof held up. really curious, as i'm thinking of adding a bar... esp. after your post. never rolled a car before, but i guess there's alway a first time, sadly.

cheers & thx.

Last edited by 24FPS; 01-14-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:17 PM
SLVR
Pro

Keith, sorry to hear but.....

I had exactly the same experience nine months ago, I changed from Left to Right lane where the ruts had apparently gathered more water. The airbags don't go off because one is traveling backwards on impact...... I had no injuries and not even a sore muscle, the 993 is solid. My wife was extremely unhappy about this seemingly random event. She only just concurred to buying another P-car a few weeks ago, but I won't until I get back to the US since I can't import a Euro spec car.

The experience is very shocking since it comes out of the blue. The car shakes the tail once or twice and then pirouettes nicely until you hit something or come to a stop. There is NOTHING you can do once the car gets away from you. Seen plenty 996s with same experience and PSM is rumored not to save the day either....
Old 01-12-2005, 12:53 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey guys thanks for the insurance advice. I will definitely use it.

To answer a few of your questions:
1. I was running 18" rims with Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires. Tires were only a few months old with lots of tread. Pressure was 36F/40R.
2. I didn't have LS/ABD
3. No Porsche driving school. I have spun cars before and I did not panic or try to over correct when when the car started to go.
4. I decided against taking pics of the car because I didn't want the reminder.
5. I hate SUVs!!!!!!!!
6. I'm hoping the GF becomes a wife so I don't think it's wise to even mention the word 993 until after the wedding.
7. I still have my sense of humor
Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by krburrell
6. I'm hoping the GF becomes a wife so I don't think it's wise to even mention the word 993 until after the wedding.
7. I still have my sense of humor ...
& yer smart too.
understand re: the pic. thing (i cringe & it's not even my car), thx. btw: had conti's on my 'my00' boxster when i spun it... were always very scarry!!! in the rain. currently have 's03's' on the 993... may not be the stickiest, but damn good in the wet. fwiw.

Last edited by 24FPS; 01-14-2005 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Say goodbye to my 993