need advice for possible pedal modifcation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 03:41 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post need advice for possible pedal modifcation

have done 4 DE in my 97 993 cab, heel and toe is very diffcult for me due to pedal size, location and inexperience.

i am considering upgrading my pedals, Excellence had an add from Vosstek they show 2 different types:
1. called track pedals looks like designed for heel and toe
2. touring pedals do not look as heel and toe friendly.

Anyone had an y experience with these or any other pedals ??

any other recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated

dennis
Old 12-23-2001, 04:31 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to take a look at these: RUF Alum Pedals

I've found that the standard pedals are fine for heel/toe. The instructors at the DE events didn't have a problem. ( Although I couldn't do it very well.. )

Give it a few more times and you may get the hang of it.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2001, 04:31 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
The best racing throttle pedal for the 993 is the Wings Engineering model. Slides over the existing pedal and has 3 adjustments for angle and height. Check Panorama as they have a 1/4 page ad most of the time. Out of Ct as I recall.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:19 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 253 Posts
I agree with Bill. The Wings Engineering throttle plate is the best. I've tried both standard size and extra-wide size, and I prefer the extra-wide size - much easier to heel and toe. Either one you chose is excellent.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:34 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill and Oleg
thanks for the tip on wings engineering, found their add in August panorama, especially like the fact it fits over exsiting pedal and is less than the other options.
i am gonna order the extra wide one ASAP

thanks
Dennis
Old 12-23-2001, 06:54 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a Wings pedal, wide version. Found it was hard to avoid hitting the gas when trying to brake - the thing was more than a little too big for me.

Don't get me wrong, it's a well-designed, well-built part. For reference, I have a 10 1/2 shoe.

I wound up going back to the stock pedals, and have learned to heel/toe just fine.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:29 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dennis
If your problem is the gas pedal size/shape, the Wings may be the answer. Many swear by it. I don't believe they have a website, but one of the links below includes a picture posted by Robin.

I've had no trouble w/oem pedals, although I've always used the left & right sides of my sole to "heel & toe." You might have better success using that technique. I have switched to the competition aluminum pedals from AJUSA for mainly aestetics, but some function in that the gas pedal is larger & the hinge is looser.

Might be something of use to you:

Rennlist "race pedals" thread
Rennlist "heel and toe" thread
Old 12-23-2001, 07:47 PM
George Helser
Instructor

okindao,

I found the 993 to be more difficult to heel/toe than my earlier Porsches.
I have size 13 shoes so I never used my heel & toe but rather the left side & right side of my foot to brake & blip at the same time. My 993 brake pedal is very high & stiff so I adjusted the brake pedal a little lower (forward) by one turn of the adjusting bolt. This helped somewhat by bringing the brake a little closer to the accelerator pedal but I cannot yet brake & blip reliably. I don’t have much practice yet, but if my old method does not work it seems like the pedals are positioned where I might use my heel & toe.

Just my 2 cents!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 12-23-2001, 07:59 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dennis:

Like Bill and Oleg, I live by the Wings Engineering pedal. I have ordered 4 of them in the last two years. I even use one in my GT3-Cup racecar. I like the standard size pedal better than the wide one. Like Robert said, I find that the wide pedal was just too wide, but the standard one is perfect!

Hank Cohn
Old 12-23-2001, 08:12 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

based on Robert's comment ( extra wide to big and gets in the way of just breaking) has anyone tried the regular size Wings Engineering pedal ??? Looking at the picture in the panorama I can see why the extra wide one may get in the way of just breaking. It looks like the regular sized one should make the pedals still much nearer allowing for clean breaking while still using the right side of the foot to blip the gas. Any experience thanks for the continued input
Dennis

Quick Reply: need advice for possible pedal modifcation