Sponsored by:

Ferrari Yellow 993. How many?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 08:33 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ferrari Yellow 993. How many?

Found a low mileage 1995 993 that the dealer says came from the factory painted Ferrari Fly Yellow. Anyone seen one? How many were produced? I like to idea of a rare color to hold the value of the car. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:56 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is one here:

1997 Fly Yellow Turbo For Sale

But I don't know if it was factory or painted to match.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2001, 09:59 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Do you guys know what is the make and model of the rims of this beautifull fly yellow TT????
They look stunning!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2001, 10:48 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fikse FM-10's
FYI - That is Jack's car, a frequent poster here.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:07 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff: The paint job is Porsche factory paint-to-sample Ferrari yellow. I believe the option cost was around $4500. Viken will hopefully correct me with the precise cost of this option.

pbs911: The color is quite rare on a Porsche (factory painted), but yellow is a love it or hate it proposition. I happen to love it.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:45 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

I considered purchasing a Ferrari Fly Yellow 993 C4S once. Fully loaded and immaculate too. Loved the look. Briefly wondered what people would say since it is more bright and interesting than speed yellow but in the end really did not care. I ended up going for a turbo and so lost interest in the car. I have seen and heard about a few but Fly Yellow 993s are rare.
Old 12-22-2001, 09:40 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
"...more interesting than speed yellow...", Excuse Me?
Old 12-22-2001, 10:51 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by bill walczak:
<STRONG>"...more interesting than speed yellow...", Excuse Me?</STRONG>
Handsome car bill. My sincere apologies and very sorry if any feelings were genuinely hurt. Speed yellow is interesting. I meant to emphasize "more" in that if I had to pick between the two yellows, I'd pick the Ferrari Fly yellow though if I was picking options, I would be hard pressed to pay for a special order and Speed Yellow was one of the top colours for me when I was thinking of ordering one.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:52 AM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

On the issue of increasing value, you have to ask yourself- do you feel lucky, no wait that's a movie. In all seriousness, you have to ask ourself why is something rare: because there was no demand for the item as people generally didn't want it or is it rare because of limited supply (for example a 993 Turbo S). IMHO, yellow is rare because of the former reason (notwithstanding a cost of $4,500, OUCH). So if the only reason you are considering yellow is to help maintain value, I would pass. If you like the color, everyone else be damned, then buy it with out a second thought. No offense intended to all yellow owners.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:57 AM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

I should have added, that if maintaining value is a primary concern, I would look to buy a wide body 993. I believe they will hold value substantially better than a narrow body car.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:08 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by laurence '97 C4S:
<STRONG>In all seriousness, you have to ask ourself why is something rare: because there was no demand for the item as people generally didn't want it or is it rare because of limited supply (for example a 993 Turbo S). IMHO, yellow is rare because of the former reason (notwithstanding a cost of $4,500, OUCH).</STRONG>
Laurence,

I suspect lots of folks may "want" speed or fly yellow, but are not sure they want the attention it may engender. My wife and I seriously considered ordering her 2002 M3 in Fly yellow (after seeing Jack's beautiful 993TT on this board, actually), which would have been $2400 - 2500 through BMWNA.

In the end, we just chickened out. If I didn't have to worry about possible added attention from the police, vandals, and more conservative colleagues/patients, I would have loved to follow my heart and get the yellow, which is beautiful to my eyes.

Maybe, one day I'll get the nerve. At some point, I'll get to an age where I just don't give a s**t, right?
Old 12-22-2001, 11:37 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>

Laurence,

I suspect lots of folks may "want" speed or fly yellow, but are not sure they want the attention it may engender. My wife and I seriously considered ordering her 2002 M3 in Fly yellow (after seeing Jack's beautiful 993TT on this board, actually), which would have been $2400 - 2500 through BMWNA.

In the end, we just chickened out. If I didn't have to worry about possible added attention from the police, vandals, and more conservative colleagues/patients, I would have loved to follow my heart and get the yellow, which is beautiful to my eyes.

Maybe, one day I'll get the nerve. At some point, I'll get to an age where I just don't give a s**t, right? </STRONG>
what colour are you getting on the M. I passed on my turn to spec. Seemed like they were still ironing out a few bugs. Plus an E36 4 door M is serving me very well in many ways.

I know yellow may have a smaller market but isnt that market a special market in that they might actually pay a wee bit more (maybe not I dont know). Maybe Jack should send the yellow turbo over to me and market my silver one to see what happens as a test!! I must be too old since I really dont give a ... as long as I have fun !! On second thoughts I have to admit having driven a silver turbo now, I kind of like the slight amount of stealth that silver confers upon you to get in and out of parking lots (hopefully less attraction means less chance of vandalism) as well as the looking-clean factor. In the end, the most important fact is that my cars remain mechanically sound which is a reason why I always hesitate to buy when what I have is perfectly fine. So the M decision too

I can scan the pic Silver Bullet refers to if people want it.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:50 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ran:
<STRONG>what colour are you getting on the M.</STRONG>
In the end, I guess we're not very original. Getting titanium silver / imola red, which is pretty much the same as arctic silver / chestnut on the 993.
Old 12-23-2001, 02:57 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I know someone in the Philadelphia area who has a 964 RS America that came from the factory painted in Ferrari yellow. Supposed to be one of only two in the U.S.

Richard
Old 12-24-2001, 03:45 AM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi pbs,

I don't know the numbers of paint to sample cars, but I know Jack and his car. It not only sports the color on the outside, but does so on the back of his sport seats.

The difference between Ferrari Yellow (paint to sample) vs. Speed Yellow is, well ALARMING. Both individually are beautiful. It is like a good diamond in a setting, nice. But, put it next to a VVS Flawless, and thats when you notice a difference.

Porsche did a great job on the color, and you would definately be top cat at all the shows. As mentioned above, the color announces itself first...then you notice the car.

Good luck on your decision.

Tom
97C2S (glacier white)
02C4Cab (seal grey)

ps. I'd see if you can't pick up Jacks car. Newer, Turbo, fully optioned....

Quick Reply: Ferrari Yellow 993. How many?