Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having my way w/my 'check-valve'...NOT! -h e l p ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:38 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question having my way w/my 'check-valve'...NOT! -h e l p ...

i know quite a few 993 listers have replaced their check valves w/ that customized wrench... but... what do ya do when it is really bonded on???

short of dropping the engine or pullin' the manifold off... any suggestions?

will try some liq. wrench & hitting it a bit... but peLEASE tell me there is a way.

thx for any input.

Last edited by 24FPS; 01-07-2005 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious... did you get it off yet? I'm looking to change out my check valve in the coming year and need any pointers I can get before I get in there.

I assume you tried...
Old 01-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you make the tool I made using a crows foot?
Old 01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
24FPS
Drifting

ron & kelly ---> my dealer has 'the wrench'! believe it?! sure hope you hold a patent on that thing ron .... the only thing is the part is really baked on there (btw: my 993 has 35k mi. on it). the valve will not budge. tried liq. wrench & strong arms too. may be b/c it's located @ an angle. dunno. btw: i have never had a cel light or any incident w/ my car. anyway...
we will may have another 'go' @ it possibly next week... (after some more soalking & possible hitting)...

i may have to pull the manifold off to really get to it ('diy' style). but if i do that... maybe i should do the port clean 'diy' while i'm @ it? ---any thoughts? my car has an extended service agreement that expires @ 50k...so the other thought was to drive the hell out of it & try to get a 'valve job' under warrantee.

....not sure what should i do.... is steve around? what do you guys think?

cheers.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:20 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If my car were under warranty, I'd drive the hell out of it and wouldn't touch it. If you do work on the car and they later find out about it, they may try to use that as leverage to get out of repairing your car.

my .02
Old 01-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

My check valve was unbelieveably tight too, I was thinking it was going to just break off. But with the 1/2" drive extension and the 1/2" drive 15" breaker bar it just loosed up. I think the combination of the 1/2" drive tools and the tight fit of the crows foot is what did the trick.

Suffice to say I used a generous amount of anitsieze lube on the treads of the new check valve.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:40 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kkim
If my car were under warranty, I'd drive the hell out of it and wouldn't touch it. If you do work on the car and they later find out about it, they may try to use that as leverage to get out of repairing your car.

my .02
kinda' leanin' that way too..... i'm going to read over my warranty as well. point well taken. thanks.

if i can simply pull the part off. i'll change it out. not sure if that'll happen. (that tinny part seems as though it may twist like foil...)

& ron ya lost me @ breaker bar... so you had 3 diff. extensions helping you do the work? you're friggin' genius! (are pics. of your set-up in your 'diy' post, can't remember)

Old 01-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Read my directions with photos for modifying the crows foot in the thread in the link below. With my setup there is no flex and the tool stays right where it needs to as you apply pressure.

There are no pictures of the crows foot I used or the combination of adapters and extensions I used on Robins DIY site.

A breaker bar or at least what I mean is a 15" long ½" drive bar. Instead of a rachet on the end it just has a drive to put a socket, crows foot or whatever on.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=crows+foot

Quick Reply: having my way w/my 'check-valve'...NOT! -h e l p ...