Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't use a Rennsport Chip - Any other Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't use a Rennsport Chip - Any other Suggestions?

I would like to rechip but do not know which direction to take. I have a 1996 993 which was delivered to the original owner in Nov 96. So I supposed I needed a new DME before I could have the engine ECU remapped. My DME number turned out to be 993 618 124 11. I contacted Steve Weiner of Rennsport who informed me that this was a 1995 DME which would take a new chip (rather than remapping) but since it was not made available in the US he did not have one. Most posts here recommend the Rennsport chip.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good chip other than one from Rennsport? Since I am in Hong Kong I cannot avail myself of some of the custom rechippers in the UK who tailor the chip to each particular car. I need something off the shelf. The Powerchip which I would have to get from their Australian outlet seems very expensive at about USD1,500.

Thanks & all the best,
Old 01-03-2005, 06:23 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

A chip tailored to an identical car should be close enough, or at least no worse than any other "off the shelf" chips. In other words, someone in the UK could have one done and sent to you.

Remember though that octane ratings are different around the world, and a chip should really be optimized for your everyday fuel so check that first.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:15 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris - I would not bother with a tip if I were you...esp since your car is a tip and you're in HK. I've found the quality of gas and octane in HK to be spotty...a few tanks of "super" I've had were far from super. Not sure how long you've been in HK but if you've been there long enough then you know how bottom line oriented a lot of companies/vendors are...sometimes at the cost of cutting corners.

BTW, did Gemballa do a good job on your car and charge a reasonable price?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:40 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi David,

I must not be as observant as you. I normally use Shell 98 octane (I cannot remember the trade name for now - maybe it is Optimax) and have not noticed any issues, but maybe I do not know what to look for. I have been a good 17 years in HK so I know what you mean about many vendors cutting corners. And it is not just the vendors. There are many consumers that buy according to one criterion only, price.

I have been very happy with Gemballa. I find the manager knowledgeable and honest, and the prices very reasonable. But I have to say that mine is not an educated mechanical eye.

All the best,

Quick Reply: Can't use a Rennsport Chip - Any other Suggestions?