Sponsored by:

ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 05:31 AM
Zumbera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ABS light

Just got a 993 1994 model two days ago. The ABS light comes on after say 15 mins. driving and that too only after I cross 90 kmph. When I stop the car and restart the light goes off. I checked the ABS at low speeds and guess it works. Any pointers?

BTW, at what speed is the rear spoiler supposed to come out? And can it go back in automatically. I havent driven mine too fast, but have never seen the spoiler come out. It operates fine by pressing the switch.

My car is a German import and it came with a german manual. No English one. Any idea where I can get one. Cant read anything about the car!

Which is the oil dipstick? Is it the pull out thing just behind the oil filler cap? I pulled it and it came out to be like 3 - 4 feet long. Is this the oil dipstick or something else.

Sure this forum helped clear my head about oil pressures, but now i need to know exactly how to check my oil.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2002, 09:05 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just got a 993 1994 model two days ago. The ABS light comes on after say 15 mins. driving and that too only after I cross 90 kmph. When I stop the car and restart the light goes off. I checked the ABS at low speeds and guess it works. Any pointers?
Congrats for the new car! Sorry, I can't help with this one...

BTW, at what speed is the rear spoiler supposed to come out? And can it go back in automatically. I havent driven mine too fast, but have never seen the spoiler come out. It operates fine by pressing the switch.
It should raise up at about 50 mph (80 kph). Are you sure it's not working when you are driving? Because if it isn't, warning light should go off.

My car is a German import and it came with a german manual. No English one. Any idea where I can get one. Cant read anything about the car!
Try Ebay, you might find one there, or ask from the dealer, or even straight from Stuttgart!

Which is the oil dipstick? Is it the pull out thing just behind the oil filler cap? I pulled it and it came out to be like 3 - 4 feet long. Is this the oil dipstick or something else.
[b]That's the one! The one in the right side of the engine compartment, at the top, when you oull it out, it's looong!b]

Sure this forum helped clear my head about oil pressures, but now i need to know exactly how to check my oil.
Let engine run at idle for about 30 seconds (at running temperature, oil temp. cauge about 8 o'clock, then chechk it from the dipstick. Also, compare thet dipstick to the gauge, then you'll might be able to determinate how accurate your gauge is

Thanks

Old 02-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Zumbera:
<strong>Just got a 993 1994 model two days ago. The ABS light comes on after say 15 mins. driving and that too only after I cross 90 kmph. When I stop the car and restart the light goes off. I checked the ABS at low speeds and guess it works. Any pointers?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can you tell us the type and size of the wheel and tires you have on all four?
Old 02-07-2002, 01:51 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<strong>My car is a German import and it came with a german manual. No English one. Any idea where I can get one. Cant read anything about the car!
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Go to
<a href="http://www.my-porsche.com/technical/tech3.htm" target="_blank">www.my-porsche.com</a>

or call them at 1-800-655-3280. Very helpful, fast courteous service & also a good place to get a shop manual. (No affiliation, blah, blah, blah)
Old 02-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Zumbera
Advanced

[quote] [B]Can you tell us the type and size of the wheel and tires you have on all four? <hr></blockquote>

I have 215/55ZR17 on the front. Will check the back and let u know. The size is larger
Old 02-10-2002, 04:04 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<strong>I have 215/55ZR17 on the front.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you sure that's the size? The oem size is 205/50x17 (approx. 25.07" diameter). Your 215/55x17 has a diameter of approx. 26.31" or almost 5% greater. I'm no ABS expert, but I believe if you have the oem size on the rear (also 25"), the 5% front/rear difference in rolling circumference can cause ABS problems.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:31 AM
Zumbera
Advanced

Posted by Dan
Are you sure that's the size? The oem size is 205/50x17 (approx. 25.07" diameter). Your 215/55x17 has a diameter of approx. 26.31" or almost 5% greater. I'm no ABS expert, but I believe if you have the oem size on the rear (also 25"), the 5% front/rear difference in rolling circumference can cause ABS problems.

I rechecked my tires. Here are the correct sizes
Front - 215/45/zr17
rear - P275/40/zr17

Would appreciate words of wisdom. BTW, I am due to replace my tires, they are pretty worn out. Any suggestions
Old 02-11-2002, 09:10 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Zumbera,
I think it is your rear tyres. They are too slow in revs per mile. Your fronts are 843 revs per mile and the fronts somewhere less than 800. The 245/40 is 807 and the 285/40 is 770. No data on the 275/40 so I am guessing. Wheel speed differential cannot exceed 6% on a 964 and I am hearing 5% on a 993 and I think you have.
Before paying for repairs I would get your tyres sorted out first. You say you have to replace them anyway.
You need to stick to within the allowable differential as explained in your owners manual. Front and rear.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: I know your manual is in German but the ABS has its own page and you will find the percentage normally in a little note at the end of the page. For more specific data look for the page with the words reifen und felgen.

Quick Reply: ABS light