Sponsored by: DashLynx

comfort seatback mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:27 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Question comfort seatback mod?

i have searched around some tuners' sites and even may have posted re this subject a while back , but i thought i'd revisit it.

i admire greatly the 'hardshell' seatbacks of the sport seats.
i dont want to change out my supple heated lumbar comforts.

has anyone found, or can anyone fab, a hard seatback for the comforts?
doesnt seem terribly hard, does it? paintable of course?

tia. j.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I saw an ad in either Panorama or Excellence within the last 9 months for an aftermarket kit that will "convert" the standard seats to sport seats. I believe it would allow you to retain the features you enjoy but introduce the hard seatback...if memory serves me correctly the price was ~ $1500 for the kit. I have looked at back issues to mid summer and have not found the ad yet...it was roughly a half page in length, black and white and I believe on the top right hand side of the page...
Old 12-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, that conversion ad was for 996 seats only.

Are you saying you want to replace your seatback with the wide-shouldered hardback seat back? The upholsetery is completely different as is the hard back itself, of course.

Are you just trying to add a hard back to paint body color for looks? If I wanted to do that I would check out some of the custom stereo stores who do custom fiberglass work. I bet they could create something to give the the look you want.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:19 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jastx
Are you just trying to add a hard back to paint body color for looks? If I wanted to do that I would check out some of the custom stereo stores who do custom fiberglass work. I bet they could create something to give the the look you want.
yes, thats the idea. i agree those shops would be good place to go. i was hoping someone here already bought them or did it.
thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 04:07 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a car with the molded hard seats and it too me a while to figure out how to make them comfortable. I found the solution after about a year. I got married and gained 25 pounds. This greatly increased the comfort of the seats. No more jabbing in the bones.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:56 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's easier to get divorced ... back when I had a 1987 911 Turbo, I got divorced and immediately lightened the car by 135 pounds, which made it quicker. Lately, I've gained back a new 115, but that's a good 20 pound difference.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 12-30-2004, 05:10 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
It's easier to get divorced ... back when I had a 1987 911 Turbo, I got divorced and immediately lightened the car by 135 pounds, which made it quicker. Lately, I've gained back a new 115, but that's a good 20 pound difference.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 12-30-2004, 05:46 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you are looking for oem seats. If hard back w/ tilt is what you're looking for, have you looked at OMP? No affiliation but they have a nice seat I was looking at for some time. Decided against it because I can't fit in a hard back seat.
Attached Images    
Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by akolodesh
I see you are looking for oem seats. If hard back w/ tilt is what you're looking for, have you looked at OMP? No affiliation but they have a nice seat I was looking at for some time. Decided against it because I can't fit in a hard back seat.
alex, if thats directed to me, thanks but no, i dont want to swap my seats out. i was just curious about modding them by covering the seatbacks with a fabricated shell.
j.

Quick Reply: comfort seatback mod?