993 Forum 1995-1998

Swaybar help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 12:04 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Swaybar help!

After a year of driving at SUV height, I'm finally getting things in order to drop the car to a better height. Thanks to ViperBob, I have a set of PSS9s sitting out in the garage ready to be installed.

I still need to order a set of swaybars to go with the PSS9s. After searching past posts, I've decided to get a set of TRG sways. I noticed that they come in 22.9/23.8 and 24.5 mm sizes...any advice on what to get? I saw in past posts that the TRG bars are desirable because they come in thicker sizes, so should I go for the thickest? My car is a weekend toy that sees about 12 autocrosses a year and hopefully about 4 or 5 DEs in the upcoming year.

Also, I saw alot of talk about these bars squeaking and getting different drop links for them. Does that still hold true or have the TRG bars been altered recently to fix this? I know that the squeaking would annoy me. I just want to know if I should consider the RS bars instead or if I'll need to order additional items if I go with the TRG bars.

Sorry for the long post- but I need to get an answer quick if I want to take advantage of Devek's December Rennlist specials!

Thanks,

Brendan
Old 12-31-2004, 12:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Brendan This is Easy Call VIperBOb and ask him. thats what I do when oredring from him
he will walk you through what you want to do with the car then he'll suggest what you need.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking The TRG bars...

25mm front, 22mm rear for TRGs VS 23mm front and 20mm rear for the 993RS bars. My TRG bars were installed in a less than optimal manner. They clunked and could not be adjusted.

Three (3) hours later, after my visit to Viper Bob's shop, the bars are now perfect. No clunk and they work well with full adjustability front and reat. I use the TRG rear drop link set up.

Have Viper Bob send you installation instructions...Bob knows how to do it the right way, the first time.

Good luck with the project...you'll enjoy the TRG bars, especiially at DE events.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at the H & R sway bars. The local alignment guru in So Cal, Steve Alarcon at Johnson Alignment (sponsor), recommended them to me over the TRG's for my 993. They're available at Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...=perf&x=63&y=9
JRG
Old 12-31-2004, 12:40 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the link to H & R's site:
http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frameproducts.html
Old 12-31-2004, 12:54 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brendan,

The TRG bars are fine. I have installed over 75 sets this year, and not one has come back to me with any issues. As with anything, if a shop does not know what they are doing, they can be installed wrong and you will have issues. I have help numerous Rennlisters and shops get them installed properly.

Martin - Are you coming up tomorrow with John? I'd love to show you the new shop.....

Also, we are sort of closed today and will be honoring the pricing through Monday January 3rd. There will be folks at the shop off and on today if you do have any questions...
Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Take a look at the H & R sway bars. The local alignment guru in So Cal, Steve Alarcon at Johnson Alignment (sponsor), recommended them to me over the TRG's for my 993. They're available at Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...=perf&x=63&y=9
JRG
I'm interested to know - what was their reasoning behind the H&R over the TRG sways? I see the H&R are thicker but don't seem to be as adjustable.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:08 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H&R are 2 way adjustable if I am not mistaken
Old 12-31-2004, 01:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Sway Bars............Viper Bob

Bob...I'll be up next week, time and date being worked out by Susan. She is also getting me an estimate on the labor involved.

For you Mr. Gordon, Sr., the H&R bars appear to be 3 position front, two position rear. For those of you interested in bump steer, its causes and corrections, you may wish to see the following article from the H&R web site.H&R Technical Section There are a few other articles there that deserve reading.

The H&R bars...if Steve Alarcon likes H&R. He certainly has his reasons. I have the utmost respect for Steve.

About a year ago, + or -, When I got my TRGs, the H&Rs were not available. Once Viper Bob massaged my TRGs. they have worked like a charm.

The H&R bars are monster.....

Front 26 Yes 70953 $ 349.00 Each
Rear 24 Yes 71953 $ 299.00 Each

Some would say that you should tune the suspension with springs and bump stops. If this is done optimally, you don't need monster sway bars. We have all been through the drill where we have learned that a 1mm increase in the bar provides added stiffness far in excess of the small incremental increase. Is bigger better? That is for you to decide.

Note the 993 RS bars are 23mm front and 20mm rear integrated into a Porsche designed coil over system with monoballs front and rear.

Back to the real world, my TRGs, after a tweeking (3 hours) by Viper Bob work very well and I am pleased with them...the 25mm front and 22mm rear do the job for me.

Happy New Year to one and all...keep the shiny side up in 2005, and beyond!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.

Bob- I'll give a call on Monday if the shop is open and order the TRG bars then. What is the best number to reach you at? I'd like to talk about which size I should get before ordering and also any tips on installation. I'm taking my car to a guy named Pat Williams in Memphis who comes highly recommended and has set up many, many P-cars, but any tips I can give him to ensure a smooth installation will be appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:00 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Brendan - The best place to reach me is at the shop - 650.369.3383 I'll be there today after 10:30 AM PST for a few hours it you want to give me a buzz today or anytime on Monday...

Quick Reply: Swaybar help!