993 Forum 1995-1998

Jacking questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:42 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jacking questions

As amateur as this sounds, I've got some questions about jacking up my new 993. I read the p-car post already...

1. My jack stands look like the ones attached below. The perches themselves have the "cupped" stands that don't line up with the holes or contours of the jacking points. Are there special stands, or is it cool to place a piece of 2x4 in between the jack and the point to spread the load out? It looks a little precarious that way....

2. I am jacking from the engine point indicated in the p-car site (fun removing the engine tray while on the ground!). THe problem is my floor jack's handle doesn't get enough travel in the pumping motion to move the car up significantly...I have tried a shorter handle but I can't get enough leverage. The long handle only goes up a few degrees from the bottom of its stroke before it hits the underside of the car. Is there an easier way? Do I need a jack with an ultra-low angle pumping engagement?

Thanks all for enduring my stupidity.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnJL; 12-28-2004 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To even get the jack under my car I drive onto 2x10 pieces of wood... once these are under the tires I have enough room to slide the jack under and actuate the handle.

I have similar jackstands as you, and the 2x4 is my choice of stand-toppers. Cut them to size to fit the jackplates.

BTW, the last line in your sig made me chuckle
Old 12-28-2004, 10:54 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know if this will help. but I use the Porsche jack on the other jack point on the same side to lift the car up enough to slide my floor jack under it and get it lined up. Then just pump away, there should be enough clearance to get lift. Yes it's a pain, but since I don't own a lift, it gets the job done.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:54 AM
JohnJL
Pro

hmm.

Yes, I ran the front wheels up onto 8" ramps and even at that angle, I can't get enough travel for the jack handle...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Craig,
THanks...isn't that a really precarious way to get the car up? If you're jacking up on the front point until you get a stand under the rear point, the car would seem to be so high on that front corner that when you are lowering onto the rear stand, I'd be concerned the stand would topple...?

I might be a sissy, but I don't want to screw around with safety or my new baby.

Jeff, thanks. No image editing software allowed at work and I spend my free hours at home trying to find a way to jack the car up without squashing my melon....;-)
Old 12-28-2004, 11:01 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

John,

I jack up the car using the rear side jack points and then put the jack stand under the front jack point. At the same time, I put two 2x10s under the rear wheel and then repeat on the other side. Once this is done, my jack will fit under the back of the car and allow me to lift the rear and place the other two jack stands. If I forget the wood pieces, I can't even get the low profile jack under the car...

Never work under the car without all 4 jack stands...

-Skip
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I understand what problem you're talking about... since the front of the car is already 8" in the air the angle will limit your access to the rear jacking point.

I use a different method (and 4 jackstands) when I'm working under my car... I'm not sure what I'd do if trying it your way.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:15 AM
JohnJL
Pro

I'm not wed to my method, I just thought it'd be easier to roll the front up on the ramps 'cause I'm not removing the front wheels...I'm just changing the transmission/diff fluid and oil.

Hmm, maybe I'll lower it back down and try your way.

In any event, I'm going to check out the local pro tool store for better stands and jack. Those tools were plenty strong for my FJ40 restoration (4500#s) but the stands fit the axles/frame well and there is FEET of clearance underneath that beast.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the thread: "Engine Removal 1" by Toga.

He has stands like yours and modded a design of "Mike J" to fit the heads.

Seen his car on them and it is very secure.

Otherwise send a PM to Toga.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:29 AM
JohnJL
Pro

J-P,
thanks. for other's reference, its this link https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...engine+removal

I couldn't see the stand heads though...will pm Toga.

THanks!
John
Old 12-28-2004, 11:58 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrong thread.

Try this one,

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/174810-before-i-start.html

Second picture down..
Old 12-28-2004, 12:10 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Nice, thanks. Looks like some more prep before getting the fingernails dirty ;-(
Old 12-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had some Sears jack stands like those... I never felt safe under the car because of the way they fit (or didn't fit) the jack points. I also had a Sear jack that only fit under the car if I removed the "cup" and used the flat metal portion as the jack (a hocky puck would not fit). Well, after my car slid of the jack while being raised (the metal to metal contact allows it to slide) and cost about $1000 to get fixed (would have been $2000 to make it look perfect, but it's a track car and not worth it) I bought better equipment. I now have a DK20 jack and the flat topped jack stands from the Ultimate Garage. I can't begin to express how much better the jack works and the improvement with the jack stands. They are not cheap but ever so worth the money.

FWIW, I always jack the rear first and then do the front. Doing the fronts first makes it impossible to fit the jack under to raise the rear.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I used the Sears jackstands for my wheel, suspension project and it seemed very sturdy. I jacked mine per P.Car method. I made sure the 2 highest point of the stands (Perches) were in contact with the jacking plates on the car. I put my truck wheels underneath the car for good measure. Since I lowered the car....I used the "wood under the rear wheel method" when bringing it down so I could have clearance for the jack. I do have the Sears low profile jack.....which is well worth the money. The AC jack stand are really nice however and more suited for the 993. AK
Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You can thank me for this tip next time you put the car up on jack stands.
Get a piece of 2x10 or 2x12 that is about as long as the width of the floor of the trunk, aka "boot". If you have a lowered car or a normal jack roll the car up onto 2x10's on all four corners to give some clearance. Lift the front from the center of the car (with the board distributing the force of the jack) and place the jackstands in place (probably on their lowest setting).

Go the the back (this is where it is convenient to have two jacks) and lift from the engine and put the jackstands on the rear jack points at the desired height. If you have the AC jackstands and want to raise the car to the max height you may have to do this in two steps if your jack has limited height. In between steps put some wood under the jack to give a bit more height. Now go back to the front and complete the job.

THis is much easier, IMO that raising the front from the rear jack points and probably safer as the car stays level, at least side to side.

Quick Reply: Jacking questions