Sponsored by:

Lowering seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 05:21 AM
Jonas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lowering seat

I own a 993 C2 which has a sunroof which is nice during touring driving. However, when I attend trackdays I can fit properly whearing a helmet. I am considering installing a GT3 sportsseat alternatively lowering the standard seat. Is this possible? There seems to be a lot of room between the seat and even when the seat is in its lowest position...
Old 02-06-2002, 12:19 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonrib,

I have a 993 C2 with Sunroof and my head was almost touching the ceiling so I needed to go lower to fit with a helmet.
My car has the sport seats with manual fore/aft and electric height adjust. I could see no
way to lower the stock seat.
I installed a Recaro SRD with Recaro’s lowest profile sliders (designed for a Mustang). I spent a weekend drilling, filing, sawing and fitting and fitting to get it to fit in the car with an in board seat belt bracket attached to the seat. It lowered me 1.3” (33 mm) which was enough to fit comfortably with a helmet. The seat has holes for a 5 point harness so I installed a harness bar & the belts. I find the SRD to fit me well (193 cm tall & 92 kg).
After my first track event in the 993 I found the seat/belts secured me so well I was not exhausted trying to hold myself in the seat.

Others here say there is a low profile slider for the SRD which bolts into the 993 but I was unable to find it. However, if you find this bolt in slider, I think the SRD will be too close to the tunnel to comfortably fit an inboard seat belt bracket. You will have to force the seat in and it will be difficult to go fore/aft unless you file the slider holes to move the seat outboard a few mm & re-drill the Recaro seat belt bracket to move it closer to the seat. You also need to cut off the SRD inboard recline adjust and leave the outboard recline adjust **** off. To adjust the recline: get out, tilt the seat back forward, slide the recline **** on and adjust the recline. It is a compromise but I like the seat for street + track.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

P.S. If you buy the SRD with the Recaro slider kit designed for the 993 you end up with the same headroom as the stock seat.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:19 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
I just fitted an sparco evo seat w/ the brey krause brackets; bolted directly to the seat posts. I think I gained about 2.5" w/o any cushions. Pretty amazing that the srd gained as much as it did, as it is much thicker than the evo shell seat. Keep in mind though, if you're tall like me, that you probably drive with your knees splayed out. When you try a seat, keep that in mind. Out of the car the evo fit great, but in it, it didn't allow me to spread my knees apart. So, I'll have to try the wider evo 2. I'd love to put in a slider, but can't give up a half an inch.

David

Quick Reply: Lowering seat