Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Worth of a 1995 64k Carerra Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Pzkw- Wow, it's been clear to me from your other posts that you know your stuff, but you REALLY know your stuff. What you say about auction cars has been a suspicion of mine, and that's why I am very very leary of buying an auctioned car. But the sad reality is that A LOT of 993s have been to the auction block at some point.

Like you, I also find auction prices to be useless benchmarks. Those prices get depressed since the buyers are taking significant risks; i.e. buying "question-mark" cars/lemons with no history or records.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to leave the car business because I loved cars too much. I know it sounds silly, but one day I heard myself talking about "units" in the store and realized it was time to get out.

I've always been a romantic about cars. I helped a friend ferry an old Mercedes 500SEL a couple of hundred miles tonight. It was a 201,000-mile car with bad brakes, peeling trim, and paint that looked pre-shotblasted. It was worth $3000 tops. But I got in that back seat... and presto! the reclining feature still worked... and we rolled down a rain-slick highway bypass and that old Benz was as straight and true as the day it was built... and you know, it made my heart flutter for just that single moment... and that's why I've been out of the profoundly unromantic car biz for some time now

The irony of it is that you can find outstanding $3000 cars at auctions, but it's hard to find an outstanding $30,000 car.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:35 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pzkw993,

Wow that's very informative. There must be something not so good under the skin of
that car. We already know that it was sold at a dealer auction once in 1995, we know
that there was some wierd accident with the wrong fluid going into the power steering
compartment (maybe the previous owner himself made the mistake). But I can see how
someone may have just looked at it and agreed to give the guy more than it was worth.
Hanging around in the 911 forum I find guys join all the time with "Hey I just bought a
Porsche, I paid x... and I am thinking... wow...he got duped..." Thank God you folks are
here to mentor us newbie's along the road to purchase..for those that are willing to do
their homework well in advance of an actual purchase. Marvin.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:12 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Ppzkw993

I don't disagree with anything you said. Parrots my experience at dealerships exactly, which is what I meant by their is always a reason. However, I have found CPI prices to be well researched and used successfully by collectors from around the country. I don't think I've ever been to a show or high end auction where the majority of buyers didn't have the book in their back pocket. I always use it as a price guide, but my only affiliation now is to buy for myself to drive for a time and when I get an itch sell to buy another car. I've done pretty well sticking to the price points in CPI for private party purchases from enthusiasts or even collectors who are ready to move something.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

I don't think those CPI numbers are wrong per se... I just wanted to caution Rennlisters about using auction prices and auction experiences to set prices when buying or selling cars. I used to work for a fellow who liked to say, "This book (wagging Black/NADA/Kelly book in hand) never bought or sold a car." You can figure a new car selling price down to the penny with commonly available information but the used cars are all different
Old 01-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

umfan,

IMO, no way is the market value of a one-owner '95 993 in excellent condition just $29K - 30K. If Fred's car is in great shape and there are no stories, he did exceptionally well. Personally, I have yet to see any "no-story" 993 in great shape change hands for under $30K, unless the miles are quite high, and I've seen LOTS of these cars. Sometimes someone gets a true bargain (rather than one that looks like a bargain but turns out not to be), and hopefully Fred did exactly this. Remember, '87 - '89 Carrrera 3.2s still sell for $30K if they're truly pristine.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:54 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI The car that started this thread still isn't selling...dealer just re-posted an
add on Craigslist at $26,900, down from $29,800, and starting list price of $36,000.

http://www.craigslist.org/pen/car/55601678.html

Quick Reply: Worth of a 1995 64k Carerra Coupe?