Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb 993 book update

I thought I would provide a little update to the status of the 993 book that I am putting together
Some of you may or may not be aware that Bentley Publishers decided not to publish my 911SC book. As a result of this decision I am no longer going to have any more books published by them. Sadly all my attempts to resolve the situation resulted in me being ignored so I was left with no choice
I was offered a new deal by a publisher in the UK and I have now signed with them. The book will have a worldwide owner slant like the 964 book and the now unpublished 911SC book.
The schedule (something that Bentley never seemed to give me anyway) is;
The first draft has to be delivered by myself to the publisher on or before April 30th 2005.
They will edit the first draft and fix up all the pictures within 5 weeks of delivery.
I then have 7-days in which to incorporate any editorial issues or changes. This is usually the odd bad image or something that does not seem to fit or explanations which might be 100% clear. Yes I have been studying.
Once the final draft is completed it is off to the printers with release hopefully in July 2005.
The book is limited to 700 pages but I think that is enough
I am still in need of more technical photos but I will kindly ask for these alittle later.
I will also announce a competition (the winner gets a free signed book and a special acknowledgement) for Rennlist only 993 owners to supply a high quality image for the front cover. It is a bit of fun and the winner gets their car (not necessarily the background) on the front cover
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much looking forward to it Adrian.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Lon
Instructor

Great News Adrian, I loved the 964 book and if the 993 book is that good I will be elated.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:33 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Good Luck! I hope everything goes smoothly with your new publisher.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds good, Adrian. Good luck with it. Sorry I didn't have time to send over any hi res pics. Can you use anymore?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Mark,
Yep I can always use more pictures. I will be using around 1500 images and I prefer not to do repeaters.
I am really short of RHD (UK, Australia) 993 images. I like to do a comparison section of the differences between LHD and RHD.
I learned a lot from both the 964 and 911SC books. The 993 will be better because if we can do it we will do it in colour. Depends eventually on the printers quote but I am leaving the images in colour from my end.
Another thing I could do with some help with is acquiring a genuine paid for copy of the PET catalogue in PDF format. I used to be able to purchase direct from US Porsche dealers like Suncoast. Now I am unable to access their download sections and I cannot purchase the PET in PDF they have been selling. The yonly sell to USA, Canada and PR. The other sites I have tried are the same. We are blocked out from outside the USA.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be very interested in your book. I offer whatever pics you may need of an RS... It will be apart at different times this winter. Any special requests??

Suspension set up?? Interior? My car is the most beautiful of all but being in pieces may not qualify for your front cover.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Monique,
Photos will be asked for in spring not in winter that would not be fair.
Suspension, transmission, fittings of the RS. I have lots of modified system images but I would like the original components as well. Oh yes the labels around the RS like under the luggage compartment with the option etc.
VIN locations are also very important. You RS will not be identified directly of course but the VIN locations which need to show the number are needed.
Anything else that you feel would be of interest to others.
Digital images need to be in colour, in focus and minimum resolution of 300 DPI.
email for images is adrianstreather@rennlist.net
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Adrian,

Mine s 100% number matching original. I will take lots of pics...

Good luck with your new book.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:43 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Adrian: Great news! If advance orders will assist your efforts, I'd be happy to oblige.

Jack
Old 12-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Feehliks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adrian
Another thing I could do with some help with is acquiring a genuine paid for copy of the PET catalogue in PDF format. I used to be able to purchase direct from US Porsche dealers like Suncoast. Now I am unable to access their download sections and I cannot purchase the PET in PDF they have been selling. The yonly sell to USA, Canada and PR. The other sites I have tried are the same. We are blocked out from outside the USA.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Any German Prosche Zentrum should sell a PDF-PET for a few Euros. It would be sold on CD. I have purchased one and it shows all pages for all models and is quite useful. However you might want to check out with Porsche in Zuffenhausen if you intend to publish extracts of the pdf-files in your book.

Best regards,

Felix
Old 12-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Jack,
I do not know what the scheme of things for the new publisher is.
I think you will find that if they follow what they say they will do it will be quite different from the ways of the first publisher.
They might even pay for the postage for all the books that have to go to the factory as gifts.
Last time I had to pay
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: Thanks for the advice Felix but I have it all covered. I need the US version of PET in PDF for a specific reason. I already have the German one.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Adrian,

I read about you book saga on 964 forum and was really troubled with it, it got me mad!

But I'm really happy to see 993 book will happen!

BTW, I PM'd you about that CD, I just bought one. I can send it to you and buy another one.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Nikoncamera
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Adrian, I was in a motoring bookshop just the other day, and saw your 964 book, (which is brilliant !!!) , and was wondering about the state of your latest project.
I'm so glad its all still a goer. Cant wait for the result.
Cheers Lyndon
Old 12-04-2004, 10:06 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Adrian,

Sorry for the bad experience with Berkley. I can't wait to get my hands on the 993 book. I assume the pics you took of mine in Cambridge will be used under the "bad example" chapter. Actually I made a great deal of progress this summer, but am leaving Maine for at least 6 months-to Arizona-and the 993 is remaining in the garage so not winter prodjects will get performed.

Best of success

Al

Quick Reply: 993 book update