Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilled Airbox...not much difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 11:17 PM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine looks like Kelly's, well maybe a little rougher, but same frame approach. FabSpeed sells this items for a bunch, but obviously easy to DIY. I don't think it makes any real difference in power, but there is an aural improvement.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Bass993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled out my airbix lid too, but the real issue is it just could suck in hot air from the engine. Solution was the fixed wing cold air intake (from gert of course) that I modified the top to fit the stock retractable wing assembly. Finished off with a foam edge on the top plastic edge to fit underneath the spoiler and it looks realy good. More importantly it's functional and takes in cooler and denser air which means more h.p. I don't have a picture yet but its not a tough modification and makes sense to do. Regards, Pat B
Old 12-30-2004, 08:23 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If anyone is interested I have a fixed wing cold air intake that has never been used/installed. I only purchased it so that I could take pictures and measurements from it. The Porsche part number is #993-110-360-51 and the first $40 plus whatever shipping costs takes it (USA & Canada only).

That was quick, sold in 7 minutes...

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 12-30-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Darnit, just missed that one

You have anymore?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
You have anymore?
Wow! Maybe I should go into business selling Porsche parts? Please let me know what you think. I have this great idea for a business were instead of doing any R&D I will take questionable accessories from other cars and transfer them to the Porsche world. If I register a couple of different domain names I can claim I'm testing another companies prototypes and if any pesky mechanical engineers start asking questions I'll just regurgitate another manufacturer's press release or impress everyone with the vast racing experience I have from my one (1) DE. And, if that doesn't work I can always have one of my affilitiate marketers pretend to be a customer. Hell, what could PMNA possibly know about brake lines? right? My first product will be a Hi-pErForManCe water radiator for the 993 made from Mercury alloyed Bismuth and with a cap made from CNC machined 6061 Aluminum and with all STAINLESS steel mounts so no rust, no break, no concerns!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:55 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Default End Result

I ended up drilling out a few more holes to get the sound I wanted. Here's the end result:
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2005, 01:43 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Are ya deaf by chance?
Old 01-18-2005, 02:46 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Alan-Huh?

Once I had added the bigger holes the sound was definately better. Just an idea for others...
Old 01-18-2005, 04:50 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnJL
Alan-Huh?

Once I had added the bigger holes the sound was definately better. Just an idea for others...
Just a joke, again. Just a quick way of saying: I drilled the holes in my box too and I have noticed a difference in the auditory note, yada, yada yada... yadddda.

It just seemed to me that the diff on my 95 at WOT after drilling the holes was unmistakeable. So I was thinking how could he not notice the diff like everyone else and that the only people that could have trouble defining the change might be the hearing impaired, thus the acerbic wit. Not meant to be mean spirited at all.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:55 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Alan,
No offense taken...I am still a new owner and so maybe haven't developed such a discerning ear for what everything should sound like. But that pattern I drlled certainly makes a difference. WOT makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

One more tip - when I first installed it, right after that pic was taken, there was a faint "whistle" at certain throttle positions. THat cleared up when I removed the airbox lid and cleaned up/deburred all the holes.

Quick Reply: Drilled Airbox...not much difference?