KPH to MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 11:52 AM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post KPH to MPH

My car is a '95 Carrera 2 LHD wheel on the wrong side for the UK the speedo and computer are KPH as the car was originally supplied in Germany.I do not want to change the speedo as you then get into all sorts of debates about whether the mileage is genuine or not.Whilst fixing the lighting in my computer I got to thinking if I were to fit a UK computer i.e. MPH would it work?

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks
Tim.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:57 PM
MarkC
Instructor

Tim,

Good question, I hope someone here can come up with a quick/cost effective fix to force the computer to talk (UK) imperial.

I'm in the same predicament regarding percieved speedo tampering on my low mileage '95 LHD/KMspeedo car.

The insurance company (and UK law) requires a mph speed indicator. Strangely the car will continue to pass annual MOT's with the kph speedo, BUT not be legal! Anyway.....
Old 10-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark

Crazy world isn't it.

I have overlaid MPH onto the speedo glass using transfers which appears to satisfy the police.
But it would be a whole load better with an MPH computer which should be available secondhand at reasonable cost.

Tim.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:41 PM
MarkC
Instructor

I hope I don't get stopped and have to demonstrate my divide by 1.6 prowess to plod!

I'll bet it's only a single component in the "computer" as well. It could even be a switch/link that displays imperial or metric measurements but I doubt it.

I've got a copy of the PET CD, I'll try and remember to have a look tonight to see if it makes any sense.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:50 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Please let me know.

Tim.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

top tip when travelling in Europe. Use you Speedo as a £ to Euro converter eg 100kph = 62.5mph and 100 euro = £62.50!!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the financial advice! But knowing my speed in Euros is unlikely to keep plod off my back.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:34 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

FWIW,
not sure if the 993 guage has changed but, when I took a US (MPH) '89 3.2 car to Australia (KPH), I had the guage modified. It wasn't a computer thing because the display is mechanical. The engineer put new gears in it, at least he said I got his last set so, I'm guessing it's gears internal to the guage? Now I'm thinking, do you guys have a digital read out? If it's mechanical then get a VDO (is that the manufacturer of the guages, can't think now) expert to change it over. I had all guages updated and a KPH face put into the main display. It was done by a registered dealer and therefore the updated and miles/km's were documented so they couldn't be disputed later.

Cheers,
Dylan.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:42 PM
MarkC
Instructor

I've had look on the PET(5) CD and the UK market gets a unique Rev counter as well as Speedo!

I've also got a copy of the '95 993 Workshop manual on CD and from what I can see the "computer" IS the Rev counter and column switch.
Unfortunately the manual is an Adobe pdf version of a photocopied manual and the quality is not great. In fact peering at the wiring diagrams is giving me a headache.

I'll try printing off the wiring diagrams to see if it helps to clarify.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Tim Ashfield:
<strong>Thanks for the financial advice! But knowing my speed in Euros is unlikely to keep plod off my back.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It works as a speeding fine calculator as well! I recently got done doing 50 in a 40...I got fined £80!

Brilliant!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:55 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

Try the Japanese Import scene.
Blitz make a converter that works on Supras/Skylines etc
Motrax make one for bikes

Let us know how you get on
Being mechanically inept I didnt bother.

( I thought it was only required for SVA approval on 'new' non EU imports - are'nt cars from one EU covered by some rule that says if their roadworthy in one then they're roadworthy in all. Besides if it's got TAx/MOT then its nothing to do with the Plod )

LA993
Black Lhd 993 Uk
Old 10-04-2002, 10:33 AM
MarkC
Instructor

Printing the wiring diagrams didn't really help, but this morning I looked carefully at the "computer" display.
The icons along the bottom are all in metric ie km, litres etc and not easily changed, you'd need a new display. My guess is that the Rev counter unit displays the information it receives in whatever "language" it knows.

In our case we'd need to change the Rev counter to a UK one whick would display mph, mpg etc regardless on the speedo fitted.

What we need is to borrow a UK Rev counter (with computer display) and try it in place of our current Euro one. Any offers?
Old 10-04-2002, 04:07 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

I might see if I can buy a second hand unit on the basis it can be returned if it does not work.

Tim.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:12 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since nobody else has brought this up, I'm probably wrong, but I could swear I've read somewhere that the display can be set to read either metric or imperial.
This info probably related to 964s, so try asking Adrian Streather on the 964 board.
Sorry if I'm wrong.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:20 AM
Cus
Intermediate

I've got a LHD TT and have had a computer printed transfer of MPH overlaid onto the face of the speedo in red so as not to be too clutted on the guage. It works really well and looks like its meant to be there. I've got used to the metric computer but it would be useful to have imperial readings as well. I'll be interested to see how you get on. Best of luck.
Cus.

Quick Reply: KPH to MPH