Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would love your opinion on getting my fender repaired!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:22 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Would love your opinion on getting my fender repaired!

My recent new to me C4S got defiled last week when a woman in a big Chevy truck backed into my parked car in my neighborhood. The damage is fairly minimal in that the passanger side fender has a nice sized dent in it, but did not crease the top edge of the fender. In fact from the drivers side, you can't even tell its damaged, you have to actually go around to see it.

The car is no queen, it has 95K on it and the condition of the paint on the front end shows it (sandblasted). I bought the car cheap (so I've been told) and didn't mind this condition because it was uniformly bad. Now I'm trying to figure out how to have it fixed. Paint the fender only and I'll have a new shiny piece up against aged others. Paint the front end, and I've been told, not only will it never match perfectly but may even further reduce its overall value. Besides the fact that the front will be new and the rear, even with polishing will be duller than the front.

WHAT SHOULD I DO???? I want to have a nice looking car. The value damage has probably been done with the milage alone, so what would be the best "happy medium" for the car and me? Don't be shy with the opinions, I want to get all the imput I can before reacting.

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Chris - Can it be repaired w/PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)? If so, that's the way to go - no repainting & done well it'll be perfect. If not, it depends whether the damage drives you crazy/diminishes your enjoyment of the car. If you get it repainted document the repair w/pics for the benefit of a future owner.

BTW, I had a door resprayed after it was keyed & my Euro TT front bumper resprayed as well. Both jobs matched the paint perfectly.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:48 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Dan, how long had/has it been? still match? The dent is probably football sized and broke the paint but remained relatively isolated. Like I said didn't even crease the very top of the fender nor touch the top of the rim/tire. It is dented in, maybe two inches or better from its orig. shape, just forward of center wheel well. I just want the thing fixed right and so not to scare off someone buying down the road. Value at this point is really probably silly to worry about with its "high" milage. I bought the car as a driver, something to learn on and enjoy without having to be **** about it and baby sit the thing every moment. On the other hand, its not a run of the mill honda, so I want to do the right thing and I know there are plenty of people on this board that will give their rendition of what that is....hope I hear them all
Old 12-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02: You want it fixed and to do a good job on the fix means repainting. The repaint can be blended into the old so it isn't noticeable. I'd get the other bits painted at the same time to eliminate the sandblasting. I'd think the repaint to help cosmetically would more than offset the fact it's been painted. You have a higher milage daily driver, not a concours queen.

I had both bumper cover replaced when I got my car and you can't tell they are different due to the paint color (now, the fact that they are Euro model covers is a tip-off...).
Old 12-20-2004, 07:46 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can avoid the repaint then i think you should.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:51 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Dan, how long had/has it been? still match?
About 1.5 yr for the door & a few months longer for the bumper. Perfect match.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:06 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I went to a dealer friend today, (non Porsche) he suggested that if I had come to trade the car and he asked or found out that the entire front end had been painted, this would be a bigger red flag than just a fender reair. The body guys I've gone to for quotes suggest that no matter what, it will always be obvious that the car has been sprayed. So is the value damage done, just go for a nice looking car and enjoy? Kinda the way I'm leaning, maybe after a good high end detailing/polishing by a pro, it will be hard to tell.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly, with 90k on the clock, it should not be held against you value wise with a bit of repaint. So long as body structure is sound, which any potential buyer should be able to check on if they are worried about it, price shouldn't be impacted too much (again due to high mileage). I would get it done right and drive the car.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 PM
deleonl1
Racer

I'd say just get the fender fixed from a high-end body shop. As said earlier, the body shop will blend the new paint with old. Have your car detailed after it's fixed and you won't notice a thing. I think the dent will drive you nuts if you leave it alone.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:32 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Deloen, Believe me when I say, I have no intention of leaving the dent alone. It must get fixed, I'm just looking for guidance as to how, and I am tending to lean with F of 3, I'm going to get as much painted as I can, with pictures and writeups to go with it and enjoy a nice looking car.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:32 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

How about taking some "before" photos so that if you go to sell the car you can be completely upfront with the buyer and show him why you did the respray.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:40 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Done! Took the pics almost the moment she hit the car.....if for no other reason, to fight the insurance company! could post if anyone cares to see what we are "talking" about.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Post 'em. All experiences with our cars help others on the board, even the unpleasant ones !
Old 12-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

Chris;

You've gotten some good advice, take some pictures.. Is the dent in front of the arch toward the bumper or near the door? With your car being black you won't have to blend... Now is a good time to respray your front bumper if needed... A good body/metal guy will have good access and will iron it all out.. The only thing that I'd stress to the bodyshop.. Spend time on the underside panel.. Yes, the shop will prime and smooth the outside, but many times they will leave iron dings and rough surfaces on the backside.. Which will be a dead giveaway in a PPI..
Old 12-20-2004, 11:09 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Okay as requested...pics, now what does everyone think. Keep in mind the front is SANDBLASTED. Looks like metalflake paint

Quick Reply: Would love your opinion on getting my fender repaired!