Sponsored by:

Crime Guard and other alarms

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:34 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crime Guard and other alarms

Its been over 2 years since mentioned, checked the search...

Anyone have experience with Crime Guard 745i4? I'm reasonable mechanically and electrically inclined, so little fear of getting into it myself. I've got a nice stereo setup and this alarm on the way from Crutchfield and am looking for suggestions, better yet an install narrative. I guess the only thing I'm concerned about figuring out is the interaction with the car's power locks.

This is for my 95 C2...

thanks all,
john
Old 12-20-2004, 06:10 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock alarm works pretty well, and I think the only issue with integrating an additional alarm unit is ensuring that the wire loom includes the cabling for the the arm/disarm unit on this model year.

Mine is a "late" 95 and did not have the wiring included to connect to these two pins on the stock alarm. Taking apart the wiring loom connector and adding two pins from a PC CDROM cable made the impossible, possible.

I used the lock/unlock outputs from the additional alarm to drive the arm/disarm lines on the stock system. I also piggybacked to the alarm horn out and the door switch signal. Two reasons for this.

1) the horn does a honk for arm/disarm.
2) if the door is not opened within 60 seconds the alarm rearms and relocks the doors.

The lights didn't flash, but using the Porsche system tester has fixed this. (enabled it).

I used a commando alarm S-550 http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm103100.htm but ended up not using half the items in the kit.

The whole process is pretty straighforward. Just took my time and it went ok.

There's an old thread about adding keyless entry here from which I got most of my details:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/122906-remote-door-lock-unlock-installation-into-95-993-a.html

Have fun!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:38 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks!

I haven't checked my month of production, I'm also a 95. My rear quarter windows have the "Porsche Alarm System" sticker, but no reference to the immobilizer.

The PO had the car from nearly new and only had 2 keys, one illuminated, neither had an alarm controller.

I wanted an alarm with motion and glass protection, hood, door and trunk sensors.

Thanks for the input, anyone else install a Crime Guard?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:21 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did, but in another car. What I did like was that when I encountered a problem with something, I called Crutchfield and they were actually able to help me out. That's one of the reasons I like buying some of my stuff through them... awesome customer service!!

Mine came with some rudimentary install instructions for the car I was doing the install on. I also bought some of their premade installation harnesses that were available and it almost turned it into a plug and play situation.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Crime Guard and other alarms