Sponsored by:

Door Stop broken (different)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 04:18 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Door Stop broken (different)

My 96 993 has seem to have the attachement at the pillar start to fail. If I recall correctly the common failure is in the door. The attached photo show the point and an arrow showing which way it deflect when closing the door. Is anyone familar with this and options for repairs.

Jack
Old 02-02-2002, 04:49 PM
KC993
Racer

Is it the part on the A-pillar that is moving?
Old 02-02-2002, 04:56 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jack
Thankfully, I've not had this failure, but yours seems to be the "common problem" described in this <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000039" target="_blank">prior Door Strap post</a>. Apart from EJ, the others seem to be describing a break in the A pillar mount, not the door.

Perhaps one of the earlier posters will clarify their problem & fix for you.

Although too late for you, I think keeping the strap well lubed & not letting the door swing open to the stop will reduce stress & the likelihood of failure of what seems to be a poor design.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:59 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Yes the part on the A pillar is moving. I have kept the all the part and have never (I think) let the door go against the stop. The orginal owner must have, I have only had the car for a little more than a year. It seems strange that the older 991 did not seem to do this, my 69 and 76 never had a problem.

Jack
Old 02-02-2002, 06:04 PM
JackQ
Advanced

I obviously did not understand that this was the failure many spoke of. Since I am in souther Maryland and no shope down here have any experience with Porsches I will need to take it to DC or Baltimore are. Can any one give me recommendation for a good shop.

Jack
Old 02-02-2002, 06:05 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I understand it, past 911s had that strap mounted to the A pillar with bolts. The 993 they tried welding it in place (on the back of the A pillar, towards the front of the car). The weld breaks on one side, that's what causes it to deflect and 'snap' back into place as the door moves.

Mine was fixed under goodwill by the local dealer; Not the prettiest fix, though. They spot-welded the strap against the *face* of the A pillar, and painted it to match the body color. But to be honest, I never notice it, and I'm pretty ****.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:24 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JackQ,

You do indeed seem to be describing the common door check strap failure, which I also recently experienced. Like Robert, mine was fixed under goodwill by the local dealer.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:13 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Turns out I have both versions of the problem. I got the inside the door part fixed last year and will hopefully have the dealer do a goodwill fix of the a pillar problem whenever I get the car in to fix a few rust spots around the windshield taken care of. If they will not good will it, then I won't worry about it.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Door Stop broken (different)