993 Forum 1995-1998

993 3.8L how do you know?

Old 12-18-2004, 06:28 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 993 3.8L how do you know?

Hi all,

I was cleaning my engine and gear box yesterday before working on a LWF installation. And I was a bit stressed by discovering my engine number without the typical "S" which should proof that this is a 3.8L.
My 4S is a Porsche factory employee car, and it was originally equipped with the 3.8 engine. Then, as the legend says: there is a "S" at the end of the engine number. But not on mine! 3 minutes after, I was flying to my Official Porsche Dealer and submit the problem. They crosschecked with the factory, and..ok my engine number is matching the car number, and it is a 3.8!

But then a question that even the OPC was enable to answer: How do I recognize a 3.8 if even the factory forget to stamp an "S" when it should?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello mate,

If your car belonged to a Porsche employee ( I would love these fringe benefits) it had a German "Fahrzeugbrief"... certificate of build. The engine type should be shown as M64/20 or 300 PK somewhere in the info.

If not, there should be a X51 option listed.

As far as the numbers themselves... Don't know... sorry.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Hi Monique,

the X51 is listed. And on the engine type I have a M6421-63T G6421- 20. Is this the 20 you are talking about?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:38 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

You could of course put it on a dyno test and check if you have + 300HP or not. This how I did it because the PO installed the 3.8 kit afterwards on mine.

How is the work with the engine going Toga?

Regards
Old 12-18-2004, 11:52 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

The ONLY way to REALLY know if its a 3.8 is to load it on a pallet and send it to me. I will install it in my car and see if it has more power than mine

Seriously, just wanted to say thanks for sharing and documenting your recent engine drop!
Old 12-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Delanobe: well I'm in the cleaning phase! I dismantled some supports which were really rusty, sandblast them, rust protection, and then painting. They look like new! The gearbox and the engine were cleaned with "TIX" sprayed under pressure followed by a hot water rinsing. Admire the result on the pictures below. ISV was cleaned with brake cleaner. The starter case is sandblasted and repainted too.
I'm waiting for the part from Gert, to continue the most important: LWF mod!
Originally Posted by chris walrod
The ONLY way to REALLY know if its a 3.8 is to load it on a pallet and send it to me. I will install it in my car and see if it has more power than mine

Seriously, just wanted to say thanks for sharing and documenting your recent engine drop!

Chris: you with my engine!

For the engine drop documentation...well I'm happy to read all the positive reactions. In fact, I just put pictures to illustrate what is said in the Workshop manual + all the advises I received from Rennlisters . I hope this will motivate the others to proceed for an engine drop themselves when they will need it. Really, if I can do it, everybody can! As I already said, I thing the key is to have the good tools and patience.
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2004, 02:20 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow is that awesome work....
Congrads!

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2004, 02:25 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it fun to find a hidden gem, like the dealer confirming what you thought! I had a blast doing my own engine drop, tranny swap, clean & polish, though I had ZERO patience with the picture taking/report keeping- Thanks for sharing. I highly advise doing this - my friends wondered why I picked this particular car to start with and of course the answer was Rennlist, and the factory manuals!
Old 12-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GratefulJED
Isn't it fun to find a hidden gem, like the dealer confirming what you thought! I had a blast doing my own engine drop, tranny swap, clean & polish, though I had ZERO patience with the picture taking/report keeping-
Great feeling indeed! But I cannot imagine the pressure when I'll turn the key for the first time after this... How was it for you?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:24 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JP,
Funny you should ask - the whole project started with the stripped alternator shaft and a belt that needed to be replaced. I wanted to clean up everything so to drop it off at a shop was not going to work for me, but I did'nt think I had the cajones to do the work either. I found my cajones and jumped in. At the end of the whole affair the new alternator only had 2 spots for connections (or so I thought) and the old alternator had three wires. So... I hooked it up wrong, started the car, ALL the lights stayed on, white smoke came out of the airvents, and I drove it around the block till I died. Got a jump, got back home, hooked it up correctly, and viola, it worked properly! I kept waiting for something to fall off - rechecked torques, then for fun did my first track event. Still running fine and nothing fell off. That alternator is not such a fast thing to just take out, correct the wiring, and put back in! This story does not include the extra nuts, bolts, ect and the misinformation in the PET and manuals. Good Luck!!
Old 12-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tear it apart and measure bore & stroke. Then you'll know for sure.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:08 PM
porkapig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x51 option code is the sign - i have one too
Old 12-25-2015, 01:47 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The built decal under the hood will show "X51" as will the decal in the maintenance booklet.

The Porsche system will show "IX51" in the options section.

Look for the BIG "S" stamped to the right of the engine type number. You will see "M64/21 S" Sometimes the "S" is way off to the right, you really have to look.

The factory X51 will have a tapered crankshaft snout with a 964 type three pulley balancer, not the stamped 3 piece 993 pulley but, the correct retrofit will have a single or town belt set up with a fixed fan and alternator. The install directions indicate the installer to stamp the "S" after the type number.

Ultimately, you need to see the X51 in the documentation followed by the 964 type pulley and the S after the type number.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 64 Posts

^ you do realize you responded to an 11 year old thread right?
Old 12-25-2015, 02:37 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopefully Toga wasn't still waiting for his response.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 3.8L how do you know?