Sponsored by:

Fenders Rolled

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 06:03 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fenders Rolled

Got the fenders rolled today to accommodate them big Hoosiers 245/40f, 305/30r on 18" Fikse. Can't wait to try em out, hopefully, rubbing will be fully gone. Have atleast a fingers worth of clearance. The only negative, lost a little paint off inside lip on one fender. I am really happy with the look, and hopefully these will work well on the track.

Doug

Old 02-01-2002, 06:50 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Pardon my ingorance; but what exactly is fender rolling? how does it work? It seems that the fender rolling issue is very popular to this board but I could not find a detailed explanation. Someone said that they used a hammer, someone else said there is a tool to rent from tire rack etc.
By the way your car looks really nice!
Old 02-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

DJF1, The inside lip of the fender really protrudes and can easily rub against some of these larger tires sizes. Basically, a baseball bat is used most of the time, and is placed between the tire and fender and then slowly turned so as to flatted down the fender lip. I have heard of a machine for doing this but have not seen one. They used a pipe and the handle of a bat on my car. Not for the faint of heart!

Doug

<a href="http://www.dmracing.cjb.net" target="_blank">D & M Racing</a>
Old 02-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Craig in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug, your car looks great. From the trailer in the background it looks like Archer did the work. Is that true? How much?
Old 02-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Doug,
You need to get Archer to bring your car to VIR this summer for the Viper Days event, you won't regret it.
Car looks great. My mechanic rolled my fenders on my race car and it is not something you want to watch if you are squemish. Definitely not for the Q-tip, concours crowd!
Greg
Old 02-02-2002, 01:45 PM
jgmurray
Advanced

Doug (et al),

It looks as if I have two choices after installing the PSS9 suspension to RS spec. One is negative camber and two is rolling the fenders. A few questions:

1. Did you have any paint cracking after the fender was rolled?
2. Do the inside liners still fit up front?
3. Is negative camber a simpler solution?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

Thanks guys for the compliments. Craig, yes Bobby did the work, and there was no charge for the fender rolling. Greg, yeah Viper Days are real neat events and it would be nice sometime to get my car hauled on Bobby's trailer. Joe, you do have to worry about paint cracking from the rolling process, but I did not have any problems with that, although the lip of the rear fender did loose a little paint on the inside edge(not visible). Had no problems with the front liner. As to negative camber, I am running -1.75 front and -2 in the rear, however, the rubbing became an issue after corner balancing, especially on the right side of the car.

Doug

<a href="http://www.dmracing.cjb.net" target="_blank">D & M Racing</a>

Quick Reply: Fenders Rolled