Sponsored by:

Downshifting to 1st (Tiptronic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 03:14 AM
red targa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Downshifting to 1st (Tiptronic)

I have been driving some curvy mountain roads recently, and found that sometimes 2nd gear doesn't have enough torque coming out of a hairpin. So, I downshifted to first to get more acceleration.

Although someone told me this was alright, I am still a bit worried about possible short/long term damage to the transmission.

Can someone comment on this?

Pls don't tell me to get a stick, it's damn hard to find a manual 993 around here.

Old 10-02-2002, 04:28 AM
Schwabe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red targa,

I won't tell you to buy a manual 993.
The Tip is quite OK, at least for me. But I agree with most critics saying that the fith gear is missing. Especially in hairpins as you describe.

Don't worrie about a damage. The tiptronc itselve is very robust.
And in fact you can't do anything wrong, because the tip and the engine rev is controlled by a computer.

Downshifting as you describe is OK.
I use the first gear permanently to improving acceleration and not only to start at traffic lights.

regards
Jürgen
Old 10-02-2002, 09:55 PM
red targa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Juergen,

Thanks for the comment. Do you also experience the "hesistation" around 2700 rmp in 2nd gear?

How fast have you taken your Targa on the Autobahn (since we only have 4 gears instead of 6 on the manual)?

I travel to Germany about once a year, do you know of any good Porsche driving school near Suttgart, conducted in English?

I might be going there in November.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Schwabe
Intermediate

John,

-I’m not shure what you mean with „hesitation“. But if you mean the “additional/fith gear” between 2’nd and 3’d, yes it’s the same with my car. It will happen at about 2100 rpm at my car. This is OK. Porsche did it for better acceleration. Drive hard and you will see that’s it is necessary. Search the archives, there are a couple of threads about this subject.
-The fastest speed I’ve driven was 272Km/h on the digital Speedometer. But only a few times. There is always a lot of traffic at the autobahn, so you can’t drive very fast (except by night).
-I never joined a driving school but if you are interested I recommend Porsche AG itselfe.
Call Mrs.Schäffner at Porsche AG:

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Marketing Services/ Sportfahrschule
Claudia Schäffner
Porschestr. 15-19
71634 Ludwigsburg
Tel. ++49 (0) 711/911-8315
Fax. ++49 (0) 711/911-8359

Enjoy your car and don`t worry, Porsches are very reliable
Jürgen
Old 10-04-2002, 03:17 PM
buzz993
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Downshifting to 1st (Tiptronic)