Sponsored by:

seat belt VS 5 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 05:36 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default seat belt VS 5 point harness

Ok, My car is on the slimfast diet and I wondered about removing my stock seat belts and using harness in daily driving situations? e
Old 12-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I've read here that racing harnesses, strange as it may sound, are not street legal/DOT approved.

I'd keep your stock belts in.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strapping yourself in/out of 5-point harnesses in daily drives I'm sure would become a royal PITA.

Stop worrying about a pound or two that won't make a hill of beans in your driving; leave the factory belts in.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Racer944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There can be a case made that 5 point harnesses without a roll bar may indeed be less safe than factory seatbelts. In Canada, unless the belt is marked specifcally as DOT approved, it is not legal for use on the street and you can and will be ticketed. I believe that most 5 points (with some exceptions) are not DOT approved.

The factory system is engineered for many factors and takes into account the many variables found when driving a car on the street. 5 point harnesses are engineered and tested to work with the safety systems typically found in a race car (roll bar, helmets, fixed back race seats, etc).

IMO, I would use each belt system under the conditions they were engineered and tested for. Factory belts for street/normal use, 5 points for track use along with the other required/appropriate safety gear.

Cheers;
Eric
Old 12-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 349 Posts
Exclamation Legal Implications....

When you buy aftermarket belts, you sign away your life. Simson et al are not going to be there for you and your family should your seat belt(s) fail in an impact...no recourse.

However if the DOT approved Porsche seat belts should fail, you (Assuming you survive) you and your family will have legal recourse.

This speaks volumes about driving on the street with 5 point belts...not withstanding the PITA of getting in and out of the belts...I am with Ray on this one!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:55 PM
kary993
Drifting

While all the the above statements are true about race belts not being legal on the street, what I find most interesting are the configurations that people come up with the use their 3 pt belts and harnesses. Some of the configurations I have seen for the 3 pts are really not safe. So if you think you have recourse from a accident where a 3 pt belt failed, you better make sure the install is the way the factory did it, otherwise you have zero recourse.

I personally would stick with my 6 points drilled into the floor over the 3 points any day of the week.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used 5-point belts on the street, ever tried getting your wallet out of your pocket in line at Starbucks? Racing belts in a street car are a royal pain, constantly getting stuck between the seats, in the backrest, under the e-brake, etc. I have put 3-point o.e. harnesses BACK IN my track car for when I drive it on the street, and switch over to the 5-points for a track event. Eric from Canada said it best...
Pete
Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Interestingly enough, the Schroth Profi ASM (anti submarine) harness in 4 point/ 5 point/ or 6 point are all US DOT legal. These are the ones I plan to pick up.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:15 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input! e
Old 12-16-2004, 11:58 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get pulled over and the cop sees you strapped in like that he will assume you've been racing...also imagine what they will write in their report if you get into an accident.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:45 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by riviera 93
Thanks for the input! e
No problem. I was looking for a street legal harness for some time. The Schroth ASM was the only one I could find. They aren't cheap but for a couple extra $'s I would like the peace of mind of knowing that I have DOT legal belts. In addition, the anti-sub feature means you can use the 4-point on the street without fear of submarining in an accident and hook into the 5/6 point during track events - makes for easier entry/exit.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the racing harness in mine PITA and my wife could not wear a skirt of any sort.

Street belts are back in
Old 12-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Racer944
Racer

Jean Pierre;

LOL! Good one! Thats gotta be my favorite reason to stick with the stock belts!

Cheers;
Eric
Old 01-23-2005, 12:25 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In line with Eric's comment: After a little research, I found the biggest problem with the 5/6 pt. harness vs OEM belts is that if you are only using a harness bar, (much the less some DIY install sans bar) without a roll bar or cage, there is no duck factor or side to side mobility which the seemingly less stable factory belts provide. Hence, you roll, your upper body stays for the most part completely immobile, while from the shoulders up, if the roof caves, (even a little if you are tall), your neck enjoys the full force of the crush.

Quick Reply: seat belt VS 5 point harness