Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks Brian B and everyone else that's responding to this thread. I sent the guy an email so I'm awaiting his response about those $270 HID's.

If this is legal (semi-legal even!) in Maryland, I'm there. There are many times while driving at night that I can't believe my lights are even on. Not good.

Steve
Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This may sound like a dumb question but is there a difference in the kit for right hand drive cars?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:12 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

All the kit does is swap an HID bulb for the regular bulb, so there should be no difference.

The kits are not street-legal anywhere in the US ... DOT outlawed them. I can't imagine a scenario where you'd get caught, though, as the 993 did come from the factory with HID lights. I did this mod to my car a few months ago with a Catz kit and was pleased.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
BrianB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
Brian,

What color temp did you install? Any pics?
I installed the 4300K. Wich is the OEM color all cars use. Any color temp greater than 4300K and you will actually loose light output.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:51 AM
BrianB
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aussie Alan 993
This may sound like a dumb question but is there a difference in the kit for right hand drive cars?
There is no difference in the kits. Your head light projectors are different because of RHD.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you make a judgement on how the kit compares in lighting to the factory litronics?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 11:14 AM
BrianB
Instructor

I haven't compared the kit I put in side by side with the factory Litronics. But I can't see there being much difference if any, they both use a 35 watt 4300k HID bulb in the same projector lamp. Other than the layout of the ballast and wiring there isn't a difference in actual light that I know of.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

So, I should get this kit then and commit my one illegal act of the month ? This is about the last bit of lawbreaking I do these days, other than running front plate-less on my car and the wife's!

WAIT! Newsflash~~~ This in, from thelegend321@aol.com apparantly they're NOT illegal???

This is the email I just got from the supplier:

"hi, yes i still have them, and yes the ones that he got are legal. he told me he will bring me customers, so i have ordered more h1 bulbs. thank you!!!"

and this follow up:

"but we do have them in stock!!!"

So now they ARE legal? I don't get it? Yes or no?

Also, how could they be so cheap when even the "group buy people" paid more for the similar kit on Rennlist a while back?

I'm skeptical of things that sound too good to be true, but excited nonetheless.

Steve
Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
BrianB
Instructor

I am not sure how he sells them so cheap. They are chinese made kits he probably buys a large quantity. They have a 1 year warranty. Thats good enough for me. If you look on ebay there are alot of kits selling in the $300 range. I looked at this sellers feedback and they are all from HID kits. He didn't having complaints against him. Most of the other kits aren't water proof or aren't available in 4300k. I searched through tons of sellers and sources and this guy seemed to be the best bang for buck. Heres his website it seems he sells quite a bit of these kits. http://www.xequipped.com/ I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 PM
mborkow
Drifting

http://xequipped.com/shop/faq.php

if you check the FAQ above you will clearly see that these kits are not legal. to quote the FAQ: "HID Xenon Conversion Kits are not legal in the United States."

i am not trying to argue that the kit isn't better or safer than OEM halogen lights. i am saying that if you get into an accident at night and your insurance adjuster happens to notice that your headlights are ILLEGAL then you may have a hard time collecting from your insurance company (i think the insurance company's argument here is pretty obvious). these guys (and i work in the insurance industry, though not the car insurance industry) are in the business of separating you from your $ and then not returning it when you need it (and are entitled to it). so, while the OEM litronics kit my be A LOT more $, in the end the extra $1-2k might seem well spent should you get into an accident.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian. That's good enough for me! I'm ready to order!!!

What is a reasonable price for my independent mechanic to charge me to put them in in your opinion? I'll print out the install info and bring it to him!

Steve
Old 12-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Uh oh! to: mBorkow...

So there IS a catch. That's one heck of a catch... if you get into an accident at night. Drats. It's always something!

Anyone else care to comment on this aspect of it?

Steve
Old 12-15-2004, 12:32 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Takes an hour or two, depending on how you do the install. However, since it's illegal, I'd be surprised if a shop would agree to do it.

It's not difficult ... you can do it yourself (really). You just need a hole saw for your drill or Dremel tool to cut the hole in the headlight housing to feed the wires out. Very simple.

As far as an accident ... it's easy to swap the kit out for the original bulbs after the fact if you're really worried about it. If the front of the car is damaged, just tear the ballasts out. The headlights appear identical, you can't even see the bulb itself inside the housing.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"As far as an accident ... it's easy to swap the kit out for the original bulbs after the fact if you're really worried about it. If the front of the car is damaged, just tear the ballasts out. The headlights appear identical, you can't even see the bulb itself inside the housing."

come on, you don't think someone who knows thier way around cars will know the difference? and what am i gonna do if the car is totalled in an accident? hold on a second, before you tow the car away i need to run back home and swap out these illegal lights for the legal ones in the garage...i don't think that is gonna work.

i understand the chance of this happening (getting busted by insurance co) is small, but do you really want to risk your $40k investment on illegal lights? also, if you injure someone in an accident and are using illegal lights i bet they will come after you to pay for the those injuries (that could be 100s of 1000s of $s) and who knows what the police might do (not a lawyer but i am sure there is a case there).
Old 12-15-2004, 01:01 PM
BrianB
Instructor

I dont think there is any way in hell an insurance ajuster would ever know the difference between factory and non factory installed HIDs. And if you car is smashed in the front the head lights would be crushed nobody is going to go digging through to see if the headlights are fully legal. Obviously its your personal choice if you want put HID's in or not. But there have been tons of members here who have done HID installs and I have yet to read about any of them having a problem.

Quick Reply: HID DIY