Sponsored by:

Power seat not working entirely

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
jmichael
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power seat not working entirely

My drivers side power seat adjusts up/down and reclines properly, but it no longer moves forward/back. Any suggestons?
Old 04-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts
Try the Go Western approach before you start fiddling with stripped seat shafts--see p-car. com. from there
Old 04-21-2003, 11:43 PM
jmichael
Intermediate

Thanks very much for the link. I'll be hollering GIDDYUP in the morning.

Mike
Old 04-22-2003, 01:42 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
In addition to trying the bucking bronco, look down underneath the seat where the flexible shafts hook together...mine had popped off inside their housing...I just took it off and put it back on...no amount of riding that beast would have fixed it...

<a href="http://p-car.com/diy/seatshaft/" target="_blank">Fix seat shaft</a>

Try that.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took and old, 8" electrical screwdriver and ground the end square to fit in the gear drive underneath the seat. I gave it a little counter clockwise twist and it freed up the drive on that side. From the links I have read on this subject, I will probably need this new tool on occasion.

I wish I had thought of this a little earlier. First, I tried vise-grips on the drive cable itself. Turns out those drive cables are a little fragile. Oops, another $30 out the window.

Dave
Old 05-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait one minute. Seems as though you can rewind the cable end while clamping in a vase, hold it together with a little expoxy and voila - the seat is fully operational.

I consider this a battlefield repair while I wait for the new cable.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:54 PM
993Racer
Advanced

I have had this problem often on passenger side.

Fold the seatback forward as in getting into the back seat. Push it forward hard several times and then push the button to move it forward/back...and it may work again. My mechanic showed me this technique a couple of times.

good luck...oder viel gluck...
Old 06-21-2003, 04:46 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 31 Posts
You guys are awesome. I just bought my car today and noticed this problem on the passenger side. I just tried these techniques and it worked! Thanks.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:09 PM
SLVR
Pro

Hi Guys, yes, the western approach works, some of these posts are very funny :-). My previous two cars had this problem, a 95c2 and 97c4s. (Now have sport seats w/ mech. fore/aft)

However, I found that mostly after driving it for five or ten minutes it also worked again. Given the streets around here I guess driving it to some extent equals the western approach.

Nothing to worry about, just parking it 1/8 inch forward of fully back, the problem stopped occuring.

Piece of advice, if for some reason your wife is forced to drive the p-car make sure you adjust the seat before hand, otherwise the phone rings at your office rings and some very bad language comes out regarding your favorite ride ;-)
Old 06-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
My passenger seat would no longer adjust for height...it was blown fuse. As they say, "If you hear hoof beats, look for horses, not zebras!" Assuming of course you are in N. America or Europe .

Quick Reply: Power seat not working entirely