993 speaker upgrade - rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 02:33 PM
trunglemill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 speaker upgrade - rear

Hi
I am looking for a set of rear speakers used on the upgrade sound system from Porsche. One corner of the speaker grill is raised.
Does anybody know who makes these ie Kenwood, alpine as I want to buy a pair and trying to save on dealer prices?

Regards

Colin
Old 12-12-2004, 02:40 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gert has them @ carnewal.com
Old 12-12-2004, 11:09 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

can the upgraded rear speakers be added in lieu of the existing base rear speakers ----even if I dont have the hi-fi option (?)

dont mean to hi-jack the thread....just have been worndering about this and thinking about buying them from gert...
Old 12-13-2004, 01:02 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by trunglemill
Hi
I am looking for a set of rear speakers used on the upgrade sound system from Porsche. One corner of the speaker grill is raised.
Does anybody know who makes these ie Kenwood, alpine as I want to buy a pair and trying to save on dealer prices?

Regards

Colin
Speakers are made by Nokia and they really are not very good....you would be better off buying a pair of mid-priced speakers for $50-100.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:55 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

I bought these M490 spearkers to upgrade the base 4x6 standard speakers and they sound great! IMO. I'm sure there are better speakers out there but I like to keep my car Porsche factory stock as much as possible. I do have the hi-fi option (front speakers) and now with these rear speakers, the finishing result was exactly what I wanted...in both the appearance and the sound quality. They plug right in by using the exsiting speaker wires and although Gert recommends enlarging the holes slightly, I managed to fit them without any modification of the existing holes.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trunglemill
Does anybody know who makes these ie Kenwood, alpine...
I believe the OE is made by Nokia, mine are.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:17 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't have the Hi-Fi upgrade option when i bought my car, but I would recommend 3rd party make of speakers like MB Quart or Focal, I have both in my car and the sound is excellent compared with the nokia originals, they were really not very good at all compared to some makes, you can even keep the original speaker covers so noone would ever know by looking at them.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:27 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
... the sound is excellent compared with the nokia originals, they were really not very good at all compared to some makes...
Nokia being a well known purveyor of fine quality telephone speakers, why would that be a surprise? Sheesh. I can't believe the things Porsche cheaped out on in these cars. The original cardboard Blaupunkts in the 964 series were about the same (dismal) quality, or worse.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You could try the Infinty Kappa 6x9 (cm I assume given their size?) speakers (flat plate with a mid/base driver and a separate tweeter) which fit in the hole under the original plate and sound really good.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-14-2004, 11:36 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Caveman
You could try the Infinty Kappa 6x9 (cm I assume given their size?) speakers (flat plate with a mid/base driver and a separate tweeter) which fit in the hole under the original plate and sound really good.

Cheers,

David
I highly doubt that 6x9 speakers will fit in 4x6 openings--they are 1.5 times larger than the 4x6 cutouts originally on the rear deck of the 993...that said, if you want to cut a larger hole they should work...

Not an expert, but that is what I have seen in other cars of mine as far as fitting larger speakers
Old 12-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Cole,

4x6, 6x9 whatever. That's why I thought maybe it was cm and not inches. Obviously no-one wants to cut into their rear panel. I tracked them down on the US website; they are now called Infinity Reference series REF6402CFP

This is the link:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF6402CFP'&Ser=REF&Cat=MEL

Cheers,

David
Old 12-14-2004, 11:48 AM
jdoc7
Pro

I currently run Infinity Kappa 4x6's in the rear which are a step up from their Reference Series as mentioned above. They sound fine. They are just rear fill speakers anyway. Don't waste a lot of money on the rear speakers. The most bang for your buck will be with the front components and a sub.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Mine are ancient. All I know is that they have a flat plate design and weigh a ton due to the driver on the mid/bass unit. They sound pretty good so I've never bother changing them. I agree with jdoc7. A lot of listers always go on about the MB Quart as being a great front speaker. I just wish that I could come up with a sensible location for the sub. The best seesm to be the box that sits ahead of one of the rear seats.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I have heard MB quarts with 50 Watts running to the fronts and they sound AWESOME...unless you are listening to heavy rap, these can pick up a lot of bass and you can crank them LOUD with absolutely no distortion...jDoc--what kind of Sub do you have and where in the world could you mount it? That is my biggest issue right now is where to mount the sub. Is the speaker shelf hollow? Has anyone drilled into it and mounted speakers? [sorry to kinda hijack the thread but hey it's still subject related right?)
Old 12-14-2004, 02:27 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Cole,

I have Rod Birch's sub enclosures sitting in both rear footwells. They each house an 8" JL Audio 8W3 sub. They sound very good (to me anyway), and are plenty enough bass for my liking. There is space behind/under the rear speaker shelf if anyone wanted to enlarge the pre-existing speaker cutouts and replace with 6x9's. However, why ruin the shelf for rear fill?

Quick Reply: 993 speaker upgrade - rear