Sponsored by:

OT: 96 Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 02:01 PM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: 96 Impala SS

Anyone out there have a 96 Impala SS. Any thoughts on them. I am thinking of getting one, any suggestions.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if you like fuzzy dice hanging from the interior mirror and Elvis on the radio, guess they're OK. Ideal for local car cruises put on by the hot rod clubs. But for sharp cornering response, fabulous braking, and fun heel-and-toe downshifting, think they're lacking a bit.

(how can a 993 owner want to get an American cruiser barge? These cars I feel are like night and day!)

That's my opinion, but it's your money. You want one, buy one. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:28 PM
djimenez993tt
Instructor

I'll second that. But if you need a 4dr sedan with seating for 5, why dont you get an E class or 5 Series, or even a 7 series.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

resale prices on 7 series are quite attractive in my view. there appears to be a very small delta between 5 and 7 series (age, condition, and mileage being equal) compared to the considerable price difference on these cars when new.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:00 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
You can get a 95 740i with a new engine for under $10k!!! I'm a little biased as I LOVE mine. A $62k car for under $10k. Life is sweet. Plenty of room, and has a bit of panache factor to boot.

Are you open to considering any other cars???
Steve
pics of my 740i
<a href="http://members.cardomain.com/stever500" target="_blank">http://members.cardomain.com/stever500</a>
Old 04-22-2003, 01:15 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Hey Steve! Silver Spring! Youre in my backyard!

Anyhow.. maybe AC just wants some down and dirty American V8 grunt? the Impala is VERY heavy though.... but there is a gentleman in our region who autocrosses his Impala SS like it is a Miata! Supercharged and setup suspension-wise, he really moves that big thing!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:58 AM
cmoss

Yo AC,
I've sorta have a thing for the Impala SS also. While the American V8 muscle car won't go over well on this forum, they do have their fans.

FWIW I just attended a DE where one guy was running his pristine Mustang Mach 1. Stock/Cherry/Fast and it had the BEST sounding engine on the track.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 04-22-2003, 11:14 AM
AGC
Racer

I usually don't like American cars either, but there is something about the Impala SS that just makes it ok to want one. I have owned an 300E, 560SEL, XJ6, GMC Jimmy, several Toyotas and a Ferrari Testarossa. Now I have a 00 Toyota Sienna and a 96 993TT. I was looking for a sedan and noticed that of all the vehicles out there the Impala SS has kept it value better than any vehicle out there. New they were about $26k and now for a low mileage one (under 20k) it will still cost you about $20k. I guess it's just curiosity as to why they hold their value so well. Again I have never wanted a GM, but the Impala SS just does not look like your ordinary Chevy.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:12 PM
magnetic1
Racer

AC,

Not only that, but they were produced in small quantities.

It would be pretty rare to find one of the original ones (forget the year now) that came in black only....

Also.. the '96s were the only ones with a console shifter I believe. The prior years had a column shifter and less color options.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:54 PM
AGC
Racer

If I do decide to buy one, it will definitely be a 96 (last of the SS). When I bought my Testarossa, I got the 91 model, which was the last year before it changed to a 512TR. Also when I sold the Testarossa to get a Porsche i got a 993 because it was the last of the air cooled cars. I wish I got a 97 993TT, but it was a bit more, so I settled for a 96 993TT, with 10.5k miles.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AC,

A little different perspective....

There is a guy in my home town that absolutely MURDERS people in his '96 Impala SS. The thing is TOTALLY stock appearing from the outside. I have yet to see another 4-door sedan move like his. He laid waste to my Vette a year ago (which is why the Vette is currently apart awaiting some SERIOUS mods), and to several assorted muscle cars here in town...He recently did a couple of highway roll-on/top end runs with a friend of mine who has a Ninja 12r & a Hayabusa. When they came back, my buddy just shook his head and said "that F'n car is a beast."

I rode in his car, and it is a BEAST. Although the 7-series and S-class cars can be had second hand for a reasonable price, the Impala can be made into a serious sleeper for much less (IF that is what you are looking for).

This guy removed his engine, (LT1 (350) - the same engine that came in '92 - '96 Vettes), bored it out, strengthened it, supercharged it, and took advantage of some other American V8 hop-up tricks. He also stiffened the suspension, etc.

I agree with what the guys are saying here about other more "prominent" cars being competitively priced; but it is all about what you want and what you are going to use it for.

As for finding one in good shape, a guy I went to College with was a member of an Impala club. Some of those guys are as fanatical about the '94 - '96 Impala as we are about our P-cars. If you are looking for a clean example (assuming an Impala is what you want), check with some of your local Chevy clubs. I bet you can find a nice, clean, low mileage example...who knows...you might be surprised.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cajun

Quick Reply: OT: 96 Impala SS