Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 993 owner....Can I change my own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Firren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We might not have beer as Monique defines it (Belgium, right?) - but we do have quite a lot of lager
Old 12-06-2004, 02:13 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a vacuum pump that allows me to suck out the meager amount of oil my lesser cars carry without unscrewing the drain plug. I don't think it holds enough to evacuate all the oil the the 993 has, but I was wondering whether it might be good for a partial changeover between the main oil changes?
Old 12-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I did my own change at 26K after buying the car, getting the engine filter off was a major PIA - I don't think it had ever been changed before. I finally bought a lock-down (?) type oil filter wrench, that tightens as you turn it, because the cup style would just spin uselessly. After that, I haven't needed to take off the oil return tubes to get the filter out.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Hello Firren,

I spotted a major error in your post: there is no beer in Sweden
I'm assuming Firren is referring to imported Finnish Beer...
Old 12-06-2004, 09:31 PM
kickit
6th Gear

Thanks for the advice everyone. I consider myself mechanically inclined in most areas, but not alot of experience with autos. The link was very informative, great illustrations. The first thing I need to do is purchase the materials including the jack stands. All in all this will still cost about half of the dealers price. I will check around though just to compare pricing. Thanks again everyone and I will tell the tale when I'm done.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:56 AM
deltawedge
Racer

With the correctly sized channel-lock pliers the engine filter can be removed without disturning the oil line (a good two beers and one album later). I am against disturbing items that are not leaking (must be my 2.7 experiences). It will be under two hours next time for the oil change now that I've done it once. The biggest pita is the oil filling (without dumping on the heat exchanger). Slow is good
Old 12-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
No beer in Sweden. WTF
I never heard of such a thing. Excluding some self-righteous 'Puritanical' counties in some 'Bible Belt States' here in the USA.
Well there is beer... if an equiv to Coors light is beer. All alcohols are extremely expensive in Swerige.. many houses have their own still.

Have you heard the one? Drinking light beer is like making love in a canoe... F!@#$%^ near water!

Anecdote: Some friends were married in so. Sweden and we took 100 liters of beer as a wedding present... then the buggers kept the beer for themselves and served the lo cal stuff. Never seen so many peeps get so drunk so fast... loads of aquavit helping
Old 12-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Firren
Advanced

FF: the Finns make pretty decent mobile phones and good vodka, beer I don't know about, sorry (Koff, isn't it?)

As far as filter wrenches go, I got one with a 10mm wide band attached to a holder which in turns connects to a 1/2" drive tool. Sorry, that explanation was kinda bad, will post a pic later. Anyhow, it just cost 50SEK, which is about 5€, ie pretty inexpensive, and it worked for removing the pesky engine oil filter (why on earth did they place it at that location? Same guy who did the clutch slave cylinder placement?).
Old 12-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Firren, I seem to recall pretty decent mobile phones and Vodka from Sweden too (beer no), my first cell phone (back in '91 I think) was Ericsson, can't remember where I drank Absolut first time though, very surprising...

FYI, couple good beer brands are KARHU (Bear) and LAPIN KULTA (Golden Beer Of Lapland). Next time you visit, check them out.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 12-07-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Herkplt1
Intermediate

Just finished my first 993 oil change. It was a piece if cake with the Pcar.com instructions. I tried to get by without removing the oil return line but I couldn't get my filter wrench in the tight work space. Fortunately the line offered no resistance coming out or going in. The job was a bit time consuming but nothing the average DIYer can't handle.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:30 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bravo H! Well done.

Quick Reply: New 993 owner....Can I change my own oil?