993 Forum 1995-1998

Lower, louder, scarier

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 09:04 PM
technivoro.us
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Lower, louder, scarier

I got my car back last wednesday from the shop, with new bilstien HDs, eibach springs, a LWF and new clutch.

It's really like a new car - the old shocks had 133,000 miles on 'em, and were way beyond shot. Handling is crisp and smooth now, revs and accelerates quickly, and the transmission clatter I hear now I know is supposed to be there. As an added bonus it doesn't look like it's set up for rock crawling anymore.

The 'scarier' part I fear is due to my mechanic's suggestion to install a turbo pressure plate in leiu of the standard version... The car is a bear to drive in traffic now. It's basically an on/off switch, and it catches about an inch or so off the floor, instead of six or so like it did before. I hadn't considered the implications of the stronger plate before the install (or the fact that the TT has a boosted pedal and my car don't). I've stalled the thing more times than I'd like to admit.

I searched the archive regarding clutch pedal adjustment, but can anyone tell me if they've been able to dial out the on/off effect by adjusting the clutch assist spring tension? Or perhaps I'm SOL?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:59 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a re-bleed of the clutch master & slave would help, air in the system will cause the problem you described. If that doesn't do it, either a larger diameter master cylinder or a smaller diameter slave cylinder (don't know if these are an option, however) would address the issue. Both will reduce the clutch pedal travel (to dis-engagement) at the expense of a higher pedal effort. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Lower, louder, scarier