Sponsored by:

Can you do damage with a worn clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Question Can you do damage with a worn clutch ?

I was wondering about worn clutches, such as mine. I know I have to replace it soon (grabs high on the pedal, but zero slippage or shudder)but I am going to do a DE first..

One guy told me "might as well wear it out" but someone else warned me to be gentle to it during the DE... Can you damage anything by waiting too long to replace a clutch? I'd have thought you'd be Ok as long as it does not slip. Is it like brakes where if you run worn pads you damage the disc? In that case what, the flywheel? (sorry, I know next to nothing about clutches, other than they're expensive - I never had to have one replaced in 15 years of driving up to 100K per car)

On another note, the dealer goofed and got me S03 instead of S02A !! No choice, I need the car back tonight - I hope the difference is not too bad (I've read the archives, they seem to be quieter and last longer, but not as "good").

Will anyone on that board be at Sebring this week end? i'll take my camera !
Old 05-23-2003, 03:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My opinion is that you've correctly assessed the clutch issue. If it starts slipping badly, you can burn-up the pressure plate and flywheel. But, it were me, I'd be replacing those itmes with the lightweight stuff anyway. I think you'll be OK.

For you first time with a p-car on a track, I don't think you'll be driving it hard enough to notice the difference from S02s to S03s. If there was a half-second difference, I'd be surprised. But then... I'm often surprised.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

>For you first time with a p-car on a track, I don't think you'll be driving it hard enough to notice the difference from S02s to S03s

It's my first time with a 993, true, so I won't have a reference point. I do have 8 track events on a 911 SC and 2 on a boxster though, and I did notice how good the S02s were with those cars ;-) But point taken. Thanks !

Greg.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:49 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can not determine that a 993 clutch iw worn by it grabbibg high. They all grab high. The only way to tell is by dropping it and looking. If its slipping, that is a good indication.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's just your disc that's going, then it could theoretically wear the material down to the rivets, which will then dig into your flywheel. If your t/o bearing is dying, then you could have a sudden and total failure when it snaps off the fork. If the pedal gets real stiff, I suppose you could wear out your slave cylinder. Bottom line is: there are a lot of things you should go ahead and replace during the clutch job. A clutch kit comes with a pressure plate, t/o bearing and disc. So add a new flywheel, replace the main seal, inspect or replace slave cylinder. This stuff is nominal labor and cost when you're already in there.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:12 PM
jhb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As said in previous threads, if you wear the plate to the rivets (as I did on my 86) you will need to replace the flywheel. If you don't mind the added expense or plan to replace anyway, then the flywheel becomes moot.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:27 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 160 Posts
Hey, be careful with those new S-O3s on the track. Mine were downright scary for the first 1000 miles (on the street) because they needed to wear of a layer of emulsafent (sp ?) used to mold the rubber. They stick like glue now, but had very little traction when new.

Just a friendly rennlist warning!

sean
Old 05-23-2003, 04:50 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Ditto on the S03's the first 500-1000 miles is slick as snot in so many words. They still have the coating from the factory for awhile. Be careful.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:31 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks ! I knew green tires was not a good idea but I had no choice. The tires that came with the car were down to the metal carcass ;-( The tires will have something like 300 miles on them tops, but given that and the clutch I think I will take it easy anyway.... It's a PCA event, only 3 30 minutes sessions anyway... I wish tracquest came to Sebring (friendlier to passengers, more track time)! Thanks all !
Old 05-24-2003, 12:05 AM
shortslr
Intermediate

funny all the chatter about the S02's. My last tires started to fishtail from time to time so I got a new set, the S02's, but then they started to spin from day one, too. Now, I know why.

Quick Reply: Can you do damage with a worn clutch ?