Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Time Trial, Streets of Willow with the back bowl, Jan 22nd 23rd...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Instructor and Student Connection...if ever you are ...

receiving instruction from a POC instructor, PCA, you name it, if you are not connecting with that instructor, simply request another. It happens all the time..this is not a time to be bashful.

Both POC and PCA have formal Instructor Programs (No you don't need a tux to attend for those that were going there!). In most cases, you are going to get a good instructor. And remember, at Streets of Willow, instructing is from the heart...that course is a real puker when you are a passenger, especially if you have been to the Golden Helmet Cantina the night before and imbibed in a wee bit too much Tequila! I have been there...we are talking real pain here.

Slapshot got to ride with Chris Wiles...it doesn't get much better than that. And don't laugh off the noon time parade laps where you get to drive the line at 55 mph. You can really learn the track...see some incredible detail and pick out significant markers for you. Yuk I have to get some dinner!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Alan

We don't have bad weather, we have four months of snow to help us hone our car control skills for the eight months we get on track.

As an old dog myself, I understand your old dog philosophy. But from what I've heard, I think a ride with DJ would be an eye-opener.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:39 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimBob Jumpback
bubba m&m,

Ol JimBob dun maded a trip ta Kalifornee knot two long agoe. I dun goed to dat willer springs trak - to da sreets in fakt. dat playce dont be makin much snese to ol JimBob cuz I dint see know willer trees there an da streats was relee a racy trak, not sum streets. but dem kalifornee bubbas is prettee stoopid bout natoore sum times.

anee rate, ol JimBob dum met a bunch o yall bubbas, includin dat bubba wat invented doze m&ms. he be drivin a brite bluue porch kar and I dun heared his insruckter takin bout him aftar a seshion. Hiz instructer dun sayed dat y'all be knowin how sum stoodents jist git it? dey lissen ta everthin den dey jis dew everthin yall sayed. an dey droved da rite line an dey is faste.

now is y'all m&m bubba da same wun dat waz at da streats bout a munth ago er so? is dat your brite bluee kar dat instrukter waz a talkin bout?

Yur Fren,
JimBob
bubba Jimbob,
I were there bout den, Sunday it were. My instruktor was a real nice ferun fella who called his wavin flag Jack. Old blu ran real good dat day causin I treat her real nice. Now I dun met ole DJ but don't remember meetin any budy name bob, exceptin my brother.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:58 AM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kary and Martin, see u at the STS at teh PCA event.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:05 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Martin:

You probably don't remember but we met on the last STS of this year, I think it was Nov 7 and I was driving the Riviera Blue cab. No problem with the instructor, he was a very nice guy and it is helpful to have tips on brake, entry, apex locations. It's just that I just starting tracking again after years of absence and have to go through the licensing program. It's okay, you never stop learning and tips are always helpful. However, once I am alone I can concentrate more on proper entry and exit speed. Christian and Mike will vouch for my advocating instruction. They will tell you how I expounded on the virtues of instruction and how much better drivers they would be at the end of the day. I too have learned from my experiences with Greg Franz and my last instructor.

Mike:

I get it, slide control, yeah that's it... winter training.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Dis N Dat

Alan,

I believe I do remember meeting you...how's that for recall. We will make it a point to chat at the PCA event.

God bless the instructors. They risk life and limb because of their enthusiasm for the sport. It can be real scary riding in the right seat with students...but in most instances it is a lot of fun watching them progress. I was "drafted" last event on Sunday...I hadn't instructed in a while and forgot how much fun it could be.

I checked out the photos on your web site, really outstanding. See you the 22, 23 January.

Best regards,
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Martin, Kary (or other POCers): Does POC ever allow participation in the STS or TT without doing the "school" at SOW? I'd like to drive with POC but am unlikely to be able to make the Jan date (not to mention it is a pretty long tow). Do 40 days of DE or TT with PCA, NCRC, PDC, NASA, TracQuest and other groups count for anything with POC? (I've sent a couple emails via the web site in the past but never received a reply.)
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking No reply...now that is tacky. Yes you can participate in POC...

Short Track Series (STS) without doing the school. It is just that you need the school as one of the steps to qualify for a POC STS license. If you have a wealth of experience, you can request a check ride from Marty Mehterian, the STS Chief Driving Instructor. It is within his power to waive the school requirement if you demonstrate situational awareness and good driving skills.

For the Time Trial events, you need a STS license, OR, you may appeal. Once again you must state your case to the TT Chief Driving Instructor, Doug Baron. He will make a decision whether or not your case warrants a tentative admission to the TT event based on your demonstrated abilities during a check ride with Doug. Once again, car control, situational awareness and safety are the drivers.

If you have a PCA Time Trial Permit from the Golden Gate Region; I am certain that will be taken into consideration.

Although I cannot speak as a POC officer, I am only the Membership Chairman, I am certain that your application would be accepted based on the driving experience you have accumulated. POC is always on the lookout for safe and talented drivers.The persons you need to contact at POC are as follows:

Short Track Series, Chief Driving Instructor: Marty Mehterian zoro930@aol.com

TT Series and Club Racing, Chief Driving Instructor: Doug Baron doug.baron@verizon.net
Old 12-07-2004, 11:22 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Martin. Hope to see you then. And... thanks, glad you like my werks.

Quick Reply: Time Trial, Streets of Willow with the back bowl, Jan 22nd 23rd...