Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem to mount V1 above mirror with a DAS rollbar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 11:27 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Post Problem to mount V1 above mirror with a DAS rollbar?

I've had my V1 in this position since new, but I noticed the other day that my rollbar in the back blocks the rear sight line. I remember reading that sightline obstructions are not good. Is it enough to warrant a move? I've since tried mounting it below the mirror, but can't really tell a performance differnce. And, I much prefer the more "stealth" above mirror location.

Thanks!
David
Old 05-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
David - I, too, have a DAS roll bar in my coupe and have noticed how the upper bar blocks the view out the back. If the V1 sees the bar, it's going to have a harder time seeing what's behind the car.

For laser, I the clear sight line would be especially critical, even though I've only witnessed laser being used with oncoming traffic. For radar, you might be able to to get away with leaving the V1 where it is. If you're being followed by radar, you have the advantage of not closing in on it, as you would if the radar were in front.

The only way to prove if moving your V1 slightly below your mirror is helping or not is to get a radar gun and do some tests by seeing how much closer the gun can approach your car from the rear by having the V1 mounted above your mirror. If that distance increases, and your early warning edge increases, by moving the detector below the mirror, there's your answer. The only question is whether that difference is important to you in all of the various speed enforcement scenarios. If you really fly on the road, you might want to obtain every advantage you can; the DAS bar is definitely an impediment.

I have my V1 mounted in front of me and with a clear line front and rear. When mounted above the mirror, I find the detector to be too close to my eyes and requires too much focusing from faraway objects on the road to the arrows and numbers on the V1 display.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:03 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David
It's important to distinguish rear radar detection sensitivity from the V1's ability to properly locate & report the direction of the threat (i.e., the arrows).
I've used my V1 velcroed to the dash of another car w/rear window line of sight completely blocked by my body & the driver's seat. I have noticed no decrease in rear radar sensitivity. The alert time/distance was unchanged. What I did find was slower & less definite transitions from front to side to rear arrows when, e.g., I passed or was passed by a radar unit. Consider that other top rated detectors are able to detect rear threats very well w/o any rear antenna. Having had no personal experience w/laser traps, it may be a different story.
Based on my experience, I think you'll be fine as is, finding no decrease in sensitivity & maybe not even any noticeable change in direction reporting ability. Let us know.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about permently mounting it to the main hoop of the roll bar and using a remote display infron of the Tach. that way it has a clear line of sight F/R and is out of sight.
i have mine mounted to the front hoop of my roll cage but will be moving it rear ward this summer
just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Problem to mount V1 above mirror with a DAS rollbar?