Sponsored by:

Another NooB Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Terrance: I came from MB to my first 911 - an 89 Carrera 4 and then to my current, 96 Carrera 4. I don't consider myself an expert driver and my wife will take it from time to time, so AWD was the right option for me (def. offers the on-rails vibe you seek). YMMV in hot, dry AZ.

I still have an MB and a BMW in addition to the C4 but this is, far and away, the best board I've found (Benzworld is great for obscure G-Wagen Q's though). The archives hold answers to just about any question, also, so you might ask the man behind the curtain in "search."
Old 11-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911
So, if you want a great handling 993, you'll need to upgrade to different shocks sometime down the road. Or, you could be fortunate and actually find a car that already has them installed!

Rich
Hmmm showing the way to the slippery slope already

Welcome to Rennlist Terrance.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:20 PM
linearC2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911
Terrence,

One thing you'll have to keep in mind when you test drive 993s is that many of them will have worn out shocks, and this will have an adverse affect on the car's handling capabilities. When you upgrade the shocks on ANY 993 the car will be much improved. For example, when I had my 993 C4S with the original factory shocks, the car handled like a pig - loads of understeer and it felt like a boat. Now, however, the car has PSS9s and it feels absolutely terrific. Similar results can be found w/ the Bilstein HD & RoW spring setup, as well.

So, if you want a great handling 993, you'll need to upgrade to different shocks sometime down the road. Or, you could be fortunate and actually find a car that already has them installed!

Rich
HAHAHAHA,
I know EXACTLY what you mean I just put H&R Coilovers on my M3 and it feels like a totally different car!!!
One of the biggest differences felt on the M3 is with the addition of an adjustable sway bar set-up. Is this the same as with the 993? It is supposed to have a bigger effect than the coilovers!
I don't think I am going to make any more investments in my car but I don't know when I will find a 993! Do you guys know of a better resource than Autotrader,cars.com or Dupont registry for local cars?

BTW here is a pic. of my baby, she will be missed but I think I will be happier
Old 11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
linearC2
Track Day

Originally Posted by lowblow
Terrance-
Rennlist is a very special community of "enthusiast". My appreciation of my car is now 10 fold of what it was when I purchased it. Good luck and we want pictures when you finally "pull the trigger"

Mike
I LOVE your car!!! Awesome color!!!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice clean car!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try Rennlist classfieds, PCA classifieds, call all porsche dealers, get your hands on Panorama, craigslist usually has a few cars, at least in No. Cal. There are lots of specialty brokers in the So Cal area, which isn't a far drive, like www.truspeedmotorcars.com or www.europeancollectibles.com. European Collectibles is in Costa Mesa and they specialize in 356's but usually have at least one 993. They have a polar silver 96 coupe currently. Often times dealers have customers who want to trade up (or down depending on how you look at it). When I was looking, I phoned all porsche dealers in a 100 mile radius regularly and let them know what I was looking for. When you figure out what you are looking for more precisely, you can post a "I'm looking for a ..." thread and sometimes people will respond with leads they know of or offer to sell you their own car.

Go check out cars and drive them. You are the only one who can tell what you want and why. You may find that 4wd is not for you road feel wise. My understanding is only about 5% of power is at front wheels unless slippage is detected. Some don't like the feel of 4wd even at that small boost to front wheels. Drive yourself and make up your own mind.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Terrence,

When buying a Porsche you don't just get the physical car itself, but you also get a piece of motorsport history. I'm sure you know this and that it is part of the special attraction to the brand. The 993 is the peak of the air-cooled evolution at Porsche and you will notice that the whole car is built in a true sportscar maner.

It is a great car to develop driving skills, and I don't mean just rookie skills, but also some pretty advanced stuff. I'm sure you will enjoy a 993 just as much as most of us here have done and I think I speak for most of us that we are glad to see more people experience the great joy this car has given so many people.

I'm really looking forward to see what 993 you will buy and hope you will post plenty of pictures of it and tell us more about it and its history. There are so many of us here with different approaches as owners and to what we want from our cars, so it is interesting to hear what your plans are.

If you have any doubts about purchasing a specific 993 or if you have any questions before deciding what car you choose; please feel free to ask questions and we will give you the best advice we can give.

Best Regards
Old 11-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Toga
Hmmm showing the way to the slippery slope already

Welcome to Rennlist Terrance.
Hey Toga,

I just started my fall down the sliippery slope, so I might as well bring someone with me!

Quick Reply: Another NooB Question