Cruise control cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:29 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cruise control cuts out

Hi folks,
I just bought my 993 last week and noticed that the cruise control cuts out periodically. I did a search and found that there may be switches causing the problem? I had a friend follow me to see if he saw my brake lights go on at the moment it cut out. He said they did not. I had thought that the brake switch might be setting it off. I did notice my third brake light going on the evening I bought the car even when I had not hit the brakes (strange) so I thought it was the brake pedal switch that was the problem. There is one LED that is out in the 3rd brake light...could this cause the problem? OR....is it possible the clutch switch is being set off and causing this problem? How do I tell if a clutch or brake switch is bad or if they are being set off prematurely?

On another issue I also noticed the reverse lights work periodically and I assume the switch for that is faulty as well. Others have advised me on that issue so I'm fairly certain I know how to fix that problem.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking Cruise Control

Mine went out...blown fuse, replaced the fuse...now it works most of the time. I don't like to cruise at a steady state anyway...but I await some answers for this pesky problem. I may just take it to the dealer for a fix (Ouch!).
Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the clutch pedal is all the way out. My cruise control would sometimes not work unless I pulled the clutch pedal up all the way with my foot. Not the same problem, but if you're clutch pedal is not quite all the way up, it could be right on the "edge" of the switch.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:21 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Btw - It holds sometimes for a while but then at other times I'll hit a bump in the road and it disengages the cruise. It seems to be functioning well otherwise...ie acceleration, reset etc.
I'll try pulling the clutch pedal upward but the doesn't seem to be sticking.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

The connections (plug @ actuator) in the engine compartment occasionally have
been problematic, e.g. wiring harness. Check these.

Quick Reply: Cruise control cuts out