Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left lane hogs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Just this morning, driving on Malibu Canyon Road (2 lanes, winding road), and got behind a BMW 740i. This woman would NOT use any of the four, well-marked turnouts to allow me to pass, even though I politely flashed my lights at her at each turnout. I just don't get it. I know I was making her nervous by following her... her behavior wrecked both of our morning drives.

On a multilane hiway, where I would appreciate someone moving over so a bunch of faster traffic doesn't have to make a pile of lane changes to get around them, I pull as far to the left as possible, so that their side-view mirror is filled with my car. Sometimes it works.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:20 PM
cmoss

Ron,
Yup , finally sold it. It went to a slimy dealer who was looking to increase his inventory. It even appeared in a TV commercial. Which paines me no end. If I had to do it over I would NOT have sold it.

I miss it every day.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
I don't tailgate behind left lane bandits but, like Steve, bring my car as far to the left as possible so that my vehicle fills their mirror. With lights on and a left turn signal flashing, most people move out of the way. In general, overt gestures such as high beams seems to to make people more resolute in staying planted.

Especially on I-95 from Baltimore to DC, I've noticed how, once a clogged line of traffic finds a clear line around some stubborn individual, many of the cloggees will do a sever, left lane chop in front of the offending vehicle. The car often gets the message and moves over.

I live close to Pennsylvania and find that many of the offenders are PA commuters who feel that the left lane is their entitled path to their state. Their intransigence is a thing to behold.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Randy M:
<strong>More often than not it is a minivan driver exhibiting this behavior. Completely oblivious to anything outside of their capsule on wheels, they will continue to clog the flow of traffic with their slow speeds and inability to get out of the way of anybody on any stretch of road. They think they are 'doing the right thing' by driving slow. Unfortunately law enforcement and their insurance agent will agree with them. It really is a silly world we live in. Common sense is not too common I'm afraid.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hold on there my friend. I have a Honda Mini and that thing will fly, 240hp, and handle 22mm sways. It will run 90 without a thought.

What I have found is, Most of these left lane slow pokes are usually from South Carolina!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts
I did say "more often than not" didn't I?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pass more people while driving in the slow lane than while in the passing lane.

You are supposed to drive in the right lane unless you are overtaking another car. So I always start in the right lane... and of course all the people who want to go fast or think they are going fast are in the middle or far left lane. Since there's almost no one in the right lane I can cruise for many miles and pass all sorts of people, but without leaving the right lane. And best of all, state troopers will always go after the person in the left lane. I have avoided two tickets when passing on the right at speeds a bit in excess of the speed limit. I just lifted... and the guy in the left lane was pulled over because of the speed I was going!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:29 AM
hstanley70
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How crazy is it that we're all so crazy about this topic?!? (me included, I'm afraid) I get nutz over this passive-aggressive-left-lane-hogging-death-of-common-courtesy driving practically every time I'm out. Here's the routine I use, and it works on all but the WORST offenders. You're aware, I assume, of those big beautiful red brakes? YOU know how fast they can stop you, but that puke-colored Dodge Caravan going 46 1/2 in the left lane has NO idea. So mix a little intimidation with a little driving skill...

If you're lucky enough to be behind such a nitwit with a little space to work with, FLOOR IT. Drift slightly out to the left as you approach, hit the lights, and barrel right up on them. Generally, it works one of two ways -- either they panic, speed up and get right, or they panic, brake and get right. Either way, even if they refuse to get over, with the right combination of those flashy breaks and that monster engine, you'll be able to take full advantage of the car-sized gap that opens up!

Perhaps not the most politically correct approach, but highly effective and tremendously entertaining!

:&gt;

Cheers,
hal

--------------------
1997 C4S (Black/Black)
....and lovin' it....

Quick Reply: left lane hogs