Sponsored by:

OT Looking 4 help with MB ML shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 05:45 AM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Looking 4 help with MB ML shock replacement

Posted this on the MBWorld site with zero response after searching hi and lo on the web. SInce a lot of you own German SUVs I thought I'd try here.

Anyone know of a good web page with instructions how to swap shocks on a W163? I have done this on other cars but not on the M-class. The fronts look very straight forward given that it has torsion bars.

The rears are a coil-over arrangement, would one release the piston rod from the trunk and then jack car up to release spring pressure? I wonder how to get the inside cladding off to get to the strut tower.

Any tips appreciated and thx in advance.

Rgds
LV

(If only I had one...)
Old 11-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shock is removed from the vehicle with the strut spring as a unit. See photo below. The special tool to compress the spring is either a Klann or a Hazet, it's very, very expensive. I've not tried to separate the shock from the spring strut yet myself. I too need to get new shocks and I want to replace the stock shock with a Bilstein unit and reuse the stock sping. I'm thinking maybe a shop with one of those wall units that compress strut assemblies could compress the MB spring. The problem, however will be that the space between the coils is very slight even when not under load which makes it difficult to get the part that compresses the spring in position to compress same.

Click link to what I think is one of the better websites that deal with ML vehicles.

ML website

Last edited by Ron; 12-08-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:32 AM
SLVR
Pro

Thanks for the diagram.

I bought Bilsteins as well since my ML feels like it is at sea with the OEMs @60k. However, in the past (the issue on most cars is with front struts) I would just relaese the piston rods and gently raise the vehicle to decompress the springs.

Do you know how to get at the top of the rear struts? Is it accessible from below the car?

I would not volunteer to compress or decompress a strut with the unit out of the car.....unless I could contain the whole thing in some kind of enclosure. The enrgy stored in the spring is lethal if the spring 'escapes' halfway through the process. Definitively not somethong to 'try at home'.

Last edited by SLVR; 11-29-2004 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you know how to get at the top of the rear struts? Is it accessible from below the car?
You remove the three bolts on the supporting bearing which are accessible from below, it's a tight fit. I'm sure you will have to remove that plastic fender liner. The shock comes out as a unit with the spring compressed, that's the only way. To remove the strut spring the unit must be removed from the vehicle.

As far as a manual goes I have Alldata DIY, that's where the diagram came from. It's USD $25 per year and I think it's quite worthwhile. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

Alldata DIY
Old 11-29-2004, 10:54 AM
SLVR
Pro

Ron - many thanks, I found the description on the Mercedesshop website quite enlightening as well. It' ll be interesting to see how I can deal with the spring.....

I have a feeling few shops around here are willing to deal with it. I just peeked under the rear fender again at lunch time and the spring on that unit is monstruous.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

It' ll be interesting to see how I can deal with the spring.....
I really have not decided how to deal with them either. I think the Hazet or Klann tools are around $2000.

I did call Baumtool, they sell high quality tools mostly German. They have a Macpherson Strut spring compressor that comes with three different size tensioning plates and the tensioner. It looks like the Klann. Cost is $489. Its of Danish manufacture. Still a lot for a one time job. If only I could find three or four people here in the States to share the expense it would be worth it.

Here's an idea. With the strength of the euro you could just buy it; have it shipped to me to test it out and then I could ship it to you in Germany.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
SLVR
Pro

Hmmm, as you said, lot of money for a one-off job. Going to see if I can produce something that works. The way I see it there is at least 1000 lbs resting on that spring when the car is on the ground. Once fully extended it on the car it is likely to be down to 750. Still not chicken feed.
I'll let you know if I find anything.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do keep me posted as to what you do. My 99 ML 320 has 103K miles and needs new shocks too.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:44 AM
SLVR
Pro

Ron,

I found a tool on Ebay.de called 'federspanner' for E214 or about USD300. I will admit: I don't like the looks of that thing at all. Seems like the spring could easily squeeze out side ways with disastrous results....

What I am more likely to try is use some conventional spring tensioners but in conjunction with a piece of pipe that fits over the strut/spring with 1/4" to 1/2" clearance. I would weld a few smaller 3/4" tubes top & btm at 120 degr. spacing to keep the spring tensioners in place. To swith the shock I'll grab the spring just above and below the perches. That way the spring stays in compression during the switch of the shock but nice and snugly packaged. It will cost me two or three hours to produce but it will be much safer even than the fancy strut spanner.

When I produce it I will post a picture but I may take me a few weeks because the tensioners and the materials are at my father's who live 300 miles away....we plan to go there on the 18th of Dec.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I looked at the one you found on ebay and another one as well, item #7937384373 which has less capacity. They are of the design type of the Klann and Hazet. What will determine whether they work is the size of the tensioning plates; each said it has two pair, 80-155mm and the other pair is 155-200mm. I don’t know if that’s the size range for our springs or not, I’ll try to measure one.

If you do make your own tool definitely take pictures. I’ll PM you my email address.

Below is a photo of the Mercedes tools from Alldata DIY.

Last edited by Ron; 12-08-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:06 PM
SLVR
Pro

Just had a phone conference with parental residence :-) and my dad is trying to locate the stuff that I need. I may go this weekend and build what I need (since they are in Spain the weekend of 12/18).

Rgds
LV
Old 12-30-2004, 01:21 PM
C Ward
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did mine a few months ago (2000 ML 430). Removed rears and took to local Goodyear where they have a large sophisticated "universal" spring compressor. compressed, removed old shock, installed new shock, decompressed. They charged me $50 CASH and let me wait for them.

They were happy i didn't bring the car since they hate removing the rear perches and fender liners (me too). Cleaned up alot in the back fenderwell with simple green while back there. Looks shiny and new.

Best,

Chuck
Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 31 Posts

SLVR,

What year is your allroad? I have a 2002 and it's a 2.7 liter. I noticed yours is a 2.5 liter. I thought they all were 2.7s?

Quick Reply: OT Looking 4 help with MB ML shock replacement