Active Cooling System for C4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 01:18 PM
acastell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Active Cooling System for C4S

All-

I am attempting to purchase/install the left and right Active Cooling Systems on my C4S (part#s 993 631 980 00(01). I cannot get a dealer in the SF bay Area to tell me the cost of installation. Does anyone have any experience with this part? Is this simply a 'snap' in part or is there some integration internally that must be fitted. Please advise....
Old 08-31-2001, 04:33 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by acastell:
<STRONG>All-

I am attempting to purchase/install the left and right Active Cooling Systems on my C4S (part#s 993 631 980 00(01). I cannot get a dealer in the SF bay Area to tell me the cost of installation. Does anyone have any experience with this part? Is this simply a 'snap' in part or is there some integration internally that must be fitted. Please advise....</STRONG>
The installation of the TurboS Air Ducts (that's what most call them) is very easy. Remove the front turn signal, remove the foglight.
Plug in the connector for the positioning light and reinstall.
Shouldn't take longer than 10 min.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:13 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by acastell:
<STRONG>All-

I am attempting to purchase/install the left and right Active Cooling Systems on my C4S (part#s 993 631 980 00(01). </STRONG>

Gert,
Thanks for clarifying what this is. I thought he was trying to add a radiator.
Greg
Old 08-31-2001, 09:44 PM
acastell
Racer

Thank you Gert...I will place the order and install myself!
Old 09-01-2001, 03:59 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this ITem something, to "have"...what does it do?...etc?
Old 09-01-2001, 04:37 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are these what you are talking about? The Turbo "S" front lamp assemblies?

If so, installing them by themselves will not provide any additional cooling.

In order to use these for additional brake cooling will require a lot of metal work to install the hoses, and very special rotor cooling ducting.

People usually buy these for the looks.

Rick
Old 09-01-2001, 06:03 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Rick is right, to get these things working effectively takes quite a bit of work, making holes in front inner wings etc - problem is, if you ever upgrade the engine and need additional oil coolers, the ducting has to be taken out to fit the coolers in, as I found - but so what, they still look the business and I can't say I've noticed a drop off in brake performance since removal of ducting !
Old 09-01-2001, 09:38 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Rick in Portland:
<STRONG>
In order to use these for additional brake cooling will require a lot of metal work to install the hoses, and very special rotor cooling ducting.

</STRONG>
The Turbo S air ducts like shown above are not brake ducts.
These air ducts just provide a bit more air to the oil cooler and the condenser.

The brake ducts look like this :

Old 09-01-2001, 11:38 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
These active cooling system ducts do allow a little extra air into the oil cooler and radiator. If some is good, a little more is better. In this spirit I de-installed the "driving lamp" that comes with the active cooling ducts. As a result I have two extra openings on each side, in contrast to one.

If you want to see what the set up with the ducting to the brakes looks like, obtain the Cargraphics catalog, for pictures. These units are not cheap, and they require lots of work to install, as Rick and others have mentioned.

If you are really interested in added oil cooling, get in touch with Gert for either the Turbo S cooler, about a 20% increase in your cooling capacity, or the monster Cargraphics cooler which has to nearly double the oil cooling capacity.

The Turbo S cooler is about $700, the Cargraphics about $2,400, with about 5 hours of labor to install either one. 5 hours that is, if you know what you are doing.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:18 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Gert:
<STRONG>The brake ducts look like this :

</STRONG>
Gert, do you sell these and do they come with the requisite hoses and hats etc? I know about the installation and cutting etc, but am wondering what your kit is exactly. I have been told there is not really a kit out there for front brake hoses and that it is rally a trial and error thing with running the tubing.

Thanx,

E. J.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:14 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>
Gert, do you sell these and do they come with the requisite hoses and hats etc? I know about the installation and cutting etc, but am wondering what your kit is exactly. </STRONG>
Hi E.J.
The parts from the factory (as shown in the picture of the black 993) is an air intake system to feed extra air to the oil cooler and the conderser, (just like the TTS air intakes).
Unlike the TTS air intakes, the shape of this intake allows it to connect hoses to the air intakes which can be used for brake cooling.
Like you said, there is not really a complete kit with hoses and outlets available from Porsche, only the intake parts and the foglights.

Techart offers a kit with foglights and brake ducts that looks exactely the same as the one from Porsche, but this kits comes with hoses and outlets.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:30 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Gert:
<STRONG>Techart offers a kit with foglights and brake ducts that looks exactely the same as the one from Porsche, but this kits comes with hoses and outlets.</STRONG>
Gert, how much cutting is involved and how bad is the price on the techart kit? I looked at Greg's setup at the track recently, but cant remeber where he runs his hoses.

Thanx for the help.

E. J.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:56 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wink

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>

Gert, how much cutting is involved and how bad is the price on the techart kit?</STRONG>
I have never installed this kit myself but it appears that you have to cut through the air deflectors and the fender liners to route the hoses to the brakes.

The complete kit is $650 + shipping
Old 09-04-2001, 12:28 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Thanx Gert, that is what I thought.

E. J.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:00 PM
acastell
Racer

Thank you to Gert and all for your responses.
For those that may purchase the vents, one added thing to consider is painting. The part is not painted, so there is the added cost/burden of getting the vents sprayed.

Thanks again...

Quick Reply: Active Cooling System for C4S