Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking about buying a 993 Cup Car - Need info!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 11:11 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<STRONG>Here's the link that you are looking for:
JM</STRONG>
http://www.us.porsche.com/national/m...e/gt3cup38.htm

The car in the link is the 993 Cup Car. The one in the picture above is a 993 3.8 Cup RSR. Different car with the same body work.
Greg
Old 08-31-2001, 11:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<STRONG>
IMHO, you REALLY need to buy that car!!!! </STRONG>
I would if you could just get a couple of those stocks I own to quadruple in the next year!
Greg
Old 09-01-2001, 04:23 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg,

Here's one that I have been in which has almost quadrupled since around the 1st of the year

Rick
Old 09-01-2001, 04:47 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, a stock that has "quadrupled"......that is rarer than a real 959 in the USA!...I own some BIll gates stuff, and some Larry Ellison stuff, and some Michael Dell stuff...I think in the last "kelley blue book" I lost the least amount of $$$$$, than I did with my gates, ellison, dell. holdings!!!
Old 09-01-2001, 02:34 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Phil,

Here's one that has gone up nearly 10X since around the first of the year. I didn't get into it until May... damn!

There are many out there that have gone up very well in this 'bear' market. I play the market every day, and am working to retire in about a year.

Rick
Old 09-01-2001, 04:32 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rick in Portland:
<STRONG>
....I play the market every day, and am working to retire in about a year.

Rick</STRONG>
Rick,
On this forum, the word "retire" has only one meaning.. giving up Porsche Trust you are not about to do that.
Old 09-01-2001, 04:47 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ran,

On the contrary... I plan on having a CUP car and another 993 Turbo.

Our long term plan is to have an enclosed trailer and attend DE events all over the country. We will be very busy.

Rick
Old 09-04-2001, 12:34 PM
Jason C.
Advanced

Steve Weiner,

Could you comment on the operating cost of running a Supercup car? I suspect many of us aren't shocked at the price to buy one of these things, but are totally unaware of the actual cost of running this car since most of us are now running street/stock cars at the club racing or DE level where pads and rotors and tires are the biggest expenses, barring a mech. failure.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:35 PM
NYandrew
AutoX

what kind of wheels are those on the blue and white car at the top. Are those Fikse, kinesis, or BBS, or something else. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:08 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Jason C.:
<STRONG>Steve Weiner,

Could you comment on the operating cost of running a Supercup car? I suspect many of us aren't shocked at the price to buy one of these things, but are totally unaware of the actual cost of running this car since most of us are now running street/stock cars at the club racing or DE level where pads and rotors and tires are the biggest expenses, barring a mech. failure.</STRONG>
Hi Jason:

I'd be my pleasure,.....first though, to Andy in NY: those are Fikse with centerlocks.

Like any race car, the operating costs are directly related to the Driver.

This cannot be stressed enough. We have clients that just destroy their cars each weekend and we replace valves 2-4 times per year from missed shifts; terminal cases of "red mist". Other people will go 3-4 years without touching the engine except for oil changes, valve adjustments, leakdowns and such. Sooooooo much rides on the driver-owners shoulders.

This car has the GT-2 380mm brakes and goes through about 2 sets of pads in a season of 6-10 races. Tires are Hoosier's and he goes through 4-5 sets. He will avoid any body contact no matter what, and is a very careful, methodical but quick driver. A real pleasure to have as a client.

The vast bulk of the $$$ spent on this car have been upgrades from its original configuration when he bought it. Body work, brakes, regearing, better LSD, MUCH better suspension, a whole host of cockpit stuff for his tastes and ours (tell-tale tach),....

We redid the engine completely and added our own custom cams, a Motec with tall butterfly, flowed the heads, added headers and our race muffler, better rods, valve springs, internal case mods. These were all things for more power and improved durability.

I would honestly tell you that if you do not miss shifts and the maintenance and setup is performed by qualified, competant and honest people, these cars are not bank-busters to race. Certainly the tires are not cheap but these things are simply consumables, like race gas.

Its all in the hands of the driver,...

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying a 993 Cup Car - Need info!