993 Forum 1995-1998

Sports exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 11:45 AM
Jonas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sports exhaust

I am the proud new owner of a 1996 993 C2. Evertyhing is great about the car, but the sound with the standard mufflers is less inspiring ( I previously had a 964 C2 with a bypass pipe for the final muffler=outstanding sound, not too loud!!!)
I have read a number of replies with mixed views about Fabspeed, RSR exhaust etc.

Question 1: Does anyone out there have any sounds files which you could mail to me since I live in Sweden.

Question 2: I have been offered a original Porsche sports muffler for the 993. Is this a worthwhile option?
Old 12-13-2001, 12:16 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sports muffler sounds better than stock. I replaced my sports mufflers with Fabspeed MaxFlo and am VERY happy. Sorry, no sound file to send you. Maybe Joe Fabiani (Fabspeed owner) has one. You can contact him through his website Fabspeed website or call (215) 646-4945.

Joe is very customer focused. I've had an excellent experience buying various parts from him.

MC
Old 12-13-2001, 02:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
My friend Viken has a C4 with Porsche Sound Package. I have the Robin Sun RSR mufflers with TechArt ovals. In an ear test Viken and I did about a year ago, both sound great. Robin Sun's RSR mufflers are available from Gert Carneway at Carnewal Parts Express in Belgium, at least they were at one time. In summary, both mufflers sound great. I am happy with mine, Viken is happy with his.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:32 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
schacht993,

What was the difference in sound, to your ear, in the sport and RSR muffler? Is one louder, more raspy, etc.?
Old 12-13-2001, 06:34 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

One thing to note about the RSR is that the price will be rising (for NA versions) as of the new year. Unfortunately Robin has been victimized by deadbeats not returning their cores.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:54 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Kevin Reilly:
<STRONG>Unfortunately Robin has been victimized by deadbeats not returning their cores. </STRONG>
Are you freaking serious???
Old 12-13-2001, 07:33 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>

Are you freaking serious??? </STRONG>
Yes, it's posted on his site under the RSR Muffler section. http://p-car.com/exhaust/

Old 12-13-2001, 07:49 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Kevin Reilly:
<STRONG>One thing to note about the RSR is that the price will be rising (for NA versions) as of the new year. Unfortunately Robin has been victimized by deadbeats not returning their cores. </STRONG>
That does suck.

I would note, however, that even at double the price I paid, I would still be happy. I would recommend the RSR's to all. If anyone in LA would like to hear them, drop me a line.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Gents:

I'd chime in here with a resounding endorsement of Robin's mufflers. IMHO, these hit a home run concerning noise, price and of course, quality. His welding & customer service is first-rate.

That guy needs to charge a deposit if folks are not returning their cores! This is what we have done for many years on exchange parts and virtually eliminated that problem, once-and-for-all.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:10 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Steve,

Thank you very much for the endorsement. I have given a lot of thought about the issue of the deposit. My main objective is not to burden the customer with complicated procedures. But I appreciate the recommendation.

Thank you
Old 12-13-2001, 08:29 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also very disappointed to hear of Robin's troubles. It's pitiful. I could not have been more impressed with his ethics and dedication to his "customers" (friends ) in my dealings with him, and he deserves better than that.

I sent my check to him with the exhaust to be modified. He tried not to accept the money at that time, stating that he wanted to wait until I heard the mufflers to make sure I was happy with them. After a bit of wrangling, he finally agreed to hold the check.

Robin is one of those special individuals who renew you faith in the best of American business ethics and a true handshake deal. I'm proud to have his mufflers on my car.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:17 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Robin 993 DX In Atlanta:
<STRONG>I have given a lot of thought about the issue of the deposit. My main objective is not to burden the customer with complicated procedures. But I appreciate the recommendation.</STRONG>
Robin,
Post the deadbeats name and numbers so we can publicly shame them for what amounts to theft.
I don't think anyone would have a problem with a deposit. A core charge is pretty common in the industry. Maybe you should get a credit card machine or use paypal to make refunding the deposit easier.
Greg
Old 12-14-2001, 12:21 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<STRONG>Post the deadbeats name and numbers so we can publicly shame them for what amounts to theft.</STRONG>
I agree, just didn't want to be the first to say it. I would hate to help out these people without knowing they screwed Robin.

E. J.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:40 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

From my correspondence with Robin I'm guessing that he wouldn't want to make public the list of the deadbeats, but maybe they are reading this (I hope they aren't Rennlisters but I imagine that there is a good chance that they are) and will realize what they've done.

Greg is right, this is theft, and it is unsettling that it could happen among members of a small community (993) like this.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I really appreciate everyone’s support regarding the deadbeat issue, the 993 Rennlist community’s unique friendship and fellow group support never ceases to amaze me. Throughout the past 3 years of virtual gathering on the Rennlist I have had the chance to meet some of the most interesting, and righteous people in the world. By no means do the particular bad apples reflect the character of the people in this virtual community. I expected these things to happen right from the beginning when I made a decision to conduct the transaction in an honor system method. The proposed increase in pricing due Jan, 2002 were intended to recover the expenses in purchasing additional cores to turn the future orders around.

I never intended to create so much emotion and discussion on this deadbeat issue. That’s why the price increase information was only listed in the RSR muffler page, I didn’t want to mention this as a discussion topic because I didn’t want anyone to feel that I am trying to generate extra muffler orders in any way. That’s one of the things that have bothered me about the price increase. So after some consideration I have decided to postpone the price increase until further notice. The reason is because I just don’t feel comfortable to cause anyone pressure in making their decision about what exhaust to buy for their 993.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support and understanding.

Quick Reply: Sports exhaust