Sponsored by:

Billy Boat Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:50 PM
trunglemill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billy Boat Exhausts

Hi has anybody had any experience with the Billy Boat Performance exhausts for a 993. What are they like for resonnance and sound. How would you rate them amongst other makes on the market? How would they compare against RSR's?

Regards

Elizabeth
Old 11-23-2004, 04:54 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search you'll find that this has been comented on many times in the past. I have B&B mufflers on my 94 cab and don't like the resonance at all...much prefer the RSRs or the Supercups (which I have on my 98 cab). I dislike them so much that I would swap them for stock mufflers in a heartbeat.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:11 PM
smithk993
Racer

I drove a perspective 95 with the B&B exhaust when I was in the market. Owner seemed to make a big point about it, how it added 15hp or so. Sounded pretty good at idle, but on the test drive it was clear to me pretty quick the resonance at 2,500 - 2,800 rpm (if I remember) would drive me nuts on the road.

RSR's on mind today...enough said!!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to their web site they have all kinds of different video and sound clips. I believe there is a 993. I work with B&B now and as far as working with them they are outstanding. I have a B&B on a 350 Z and it sounds outstanding! I have not heard one on a 993 however! Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 11-23-2004, 09:06 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I used to have the B&B's on my 968. Back then it was really the only option ( 1998) ...They went to the trash after the welds started to fall apart and the sound resonance was bothering to say the least. Thank God I had kept the original mufflers on...

I have the RSR's on my cabrio and I love them!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

From experience, they make good headers but lousy mufflers.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought my B&B back in 1997 and it soon started to split. Sent it back and they repaired it under warranty. Car became a track and car and I would use the muffler for tracks with sound limits. It started to split again and I would periodically have the shop weld it. Finally I called B&B and told them that I had their muffler and essentially it was worthless to me and that I really didn't want to dump another $900 on a muffler so they offered to fix it for $400. I got back what looked like a new muffler. He said that they've made leaps and bounds of improvement over the muffler I purchased back in '97. So far it's held up really well. They seem to have great customer service. Can't comment on the resonance. It's a track car and I've got so much other noises going on....
Old 11-24-2004, 08:55 AM
lowblow
Racer

WOW-

Purchased my car with Billy Boats installed by P.O. I gotta say I'm shocked by your responses. EVERYONE that has ever been in my car has comented on how nice it sounds. Resonance is not bad at 2,500- 3,000 rpm. It seems that I've read of others complaining of resonance, (can't remember which brands of exhaust). In addition, they have been on the car since 99' and no sign of weld failure, rust, etc.

I would recommend them and would install them again if I needed to.

Since I ride bikes I live by the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" mantra!!

Mike
Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

I went with board sponsor GHL mufflers instead of BB on my 96 coupe. still a bit quiet for my taste, but the supercups are too loud. resonance is only noticeable to me at steady state highway cruising with very light throttle application. no throttle, or moderate to heavy throttle, and I can't hear any resonance. Also, the thirty day you don't like it send it back policy they have is fantastic, even though there never really was a chance i was sending them back....

YMMV
Old 11-24-2004, 10:06 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 258 Posts

I tried B&B's for a few weeks and did not like them at all! Resonance at 2500-2800 was lousy and just wasn't impressed with the sound.

Went with Fabspeed mufflers and have never looked back (4yrs and counting)!

RSR's are nice as well (tried these as well for a few days), but Fabspeeds are a bit louder (more aggressive), and is the perfect muffler for me (in addition to a nicely drilled-out air box - amazing how much this helps make the car sound deep and throaty).

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking

I have had them all, B&B, RSRs and now the new Fabspeeds. I will always have a special place in my heart for RSRs, I sold them to a Rennlister with my Techart tips. Used the funds to help pay for the Fabspeeds. I also have the Fabspeed airbox. Also note that Group 9 Motorsorts, a Rennlist sponsor, is now selling Fabspeeds. I LOVE MY FABSPEEDS. They really have transformed the car for me. They are loud, but I wanted loud.

Way back when, the PO of my car had installed B&Bs. The resonance was too much for me, annoying. I called B&B...they said send them back, we'll fix or replace them. A week later they called me back and said that the left and right mufflers were different versions and therefore I was out of luck. They sent them back...I got rid of them. Basically B&B mislead me, lied...and pissed me off. However if someone wishes to buy B&Bs, more power to them.

The RSRs are a great value if you don't want to wake the neighbors...I don't like my neighbors so the point is moot, clearly not mute!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:57 PM
sonny1
Banned

Resonance is gone, they fixed that a while ago,I know I have try the latest of them,cheers,Sonny.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had checked out a few 993's with B&B mufflers and really liked them. In fact, that was my first planned mod. But then I got a 993 with Fabspeed MaxFlows and really grew to love them. The SC I just bought has a GHL and I like it a lot too. Still, if I were in the market for a muffler, B&B would be atop my list.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:40 PM
jbuchsba
Advanced

Default have bb system: it is really nice

Hi.

PO put all possible B&B parts on my 1995 C4. Yes, there is reasonance from 2500 or so to 2700 or so....not that bad. It sounds great and torque is improved by the "seat of the pants" when compared to a similar car I tried.

No cracks, etc....in fact, it still is shining three years later.

JB
Old 11-25-2004, 12:53 AM
hdemas
Instructor

I've had B&B's for two cars and was generally happy with both. First one I bought new for my old 944S2. Bought the B&B new. Customer service was very good to deal with an installation problem that required redrilling the mount. Sound was outstanding on that car, and I was constantly having people ask what exhaust was on the car. Quality was very good, and it held up for several years and still looked new when I sold it.

Second B&Bs came with my current 993 track car. I use them for tracks that have noise restrictions. They sound very good, although I bought a set of Fabspeed Supercups and use those on the car all the time (unbaffled). I've heard the RSRs, and as far as I could tell they were just quieter than the B&Bs at about all rpms. Can't say I've noticed the resonance everyone talks about.

My recommendation would be to get the Supercups. They don't really have any resonance, but are just really loud. The solution is to just use the baffles, which still allows them to sound great but reduce the db level quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Billy Boat Exhausts