Sponsored by:

My first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:32 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You

Thank you for your very warm words of welcome. I look forward to being part of this knowledgeable, enthusiastic and warm community. I will try and take some pics.

Steve, you are right about the number of high end cars in Hong Kong. The combination of a relatively wealthy middle class and a good number of very wealthy people together with people being particularly brand conscious and some wanting to demonstrate their wealth, makes for a very healthy car population. I am not widely traveled, but in my experience London, Miami, Munich, New York and Sydney do not have the concentration of middle to high end machinery. This is all the more impressive given that cars in HK are a little over double the price in the US. In my residential complex which has garaging for about 100 cars, a little over 50% are German. I once went to my supermarket which is part of an upscale housing development. The usual spaces were gone so I had to drive further into the under cover car park. It was like having gone to heaven. In a little corner were 2 late model Bentley turbos, a Ferrari 575 and a 360 and a 996 Porsche Turbo, plus of course the usual Mercs.

Arrwin, Porsche’s have become considerably more popular here with the advent of the 996, as I suppose is the case in most markets. 993’s are a lot scarcer but they do appear on the market.

Steve, while I love the Tip, I find myself too often at low revs in second (I am manually shifting – I do not leave the transmission in D) when I am on a very twisty up hill stretch. I presume that this is caused by these two gears not being close enough. Five and closer gears would be my big wish.

David, I have put my car into the Gembella franchise. Mr Wong, who is either the manager or owner, is friendly, helpful and I think he knows his Porsches’. As an English speaker, it is also a big plus for me that I can communicate quite well with him. I will wait to see the work. If you need any further details, PM me.

To close, when I went to Gembella, they remembered the car and despite the previous owner’s answer to me that the suspension had never been modified, it turns out it already has RoW M030 springs and shocks plus a Gembella front brace. We agreed that while the Bilsteins would be better than the shocks Porsche package with the M030 springs, they were only 1 year old so they are staying for the moment. So I came away impressed with the man’s honesty and with heavier pockets but funnily disappointed because I thought if this is how a standard 993 handles, what a difference the proposed mods would make. So the only performance mods will be the RoW M030 anti-roll bars and RS engine mounts.

All the best,
Chris
Old 12-06-2004, 12:57 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TargaTango
David, I have put my car into the Gembella franchise. Mr Wong, who is either the manager or owner, is friendly, helpful and I think he knows his Porsches’. As an English speaker, it is also a big plus for me that I can communicate quite well with him. I will wait to see the work. If you need any further details, PM me....
Chris - I've never dealt with Gemballa (Kowloon sider, right?) but have dealt with Jebsens and a few others. The best shop I've found in HK so far is Road & Track and they do all my current work (they are in Kowloon near the exit of the Eastern tunnel). Shop is owned/run by an expat and they are straight shooters. They also prep race cars and rates are pretty competitve.

BTW I've posted on your thread re: your mufflers....PM me if you have any thoughts or need contact info for R&T.

David
Old 12-06-2004, 01:09 AM
DJD
Instructor

Chris,

Great story!!! Welcome to the special group of true enthusiast, the 993 owner!! I try to explain to friends what it means to own a 993, then realize, you have to own one to truly understand.

Enjoy every mile !!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:20 AM
1996targa
Intermediate

Welcome TargaTango,

I also own a Targa and can understand how happy you feel!

Quick Reply: My first time