Intro, and recommendations sought

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 02:13 PM
JonasInLA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Intro, and recommendations sought

Hi,

Just joined here. My name is Jonas, and I've just relocated my 98 C2 Cab to Los Angeles (from SF) and am hoping to get recommendations from locals on the list.

Unfortunately, the first thing I need is a body shop, as my car's welcome to the area was to get rear-ended on Santa Monica Blvd.

However, I am also looking for a reliable and knowledgeable shop for regular maintenance. I like small independent shops that specialize in Porsches (or at least understand the idiosyncracies of 993's).

Any recommendations for either of the above, preferably on the Westside or South Bay (LA, that is, not SF Bay Area) are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
j
Old 08-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Welcome to LA.

For an ind. in the southbay:
Callas Rennsport in Torrance.

For a bodyshop in WLA:
Avio Coach Craft

I believe Martin will be chiming in here shortly. He has got a few great recommendations further south. Or you can do a search for his rec's.

Too bad about the accident.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:22 PM
JonasInLA
AutoX

Well that certainly was quick. What a great resource you guys have here.

Thanks for the info,
j
Old 08-23-2002, 02:30 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Welcome Jonas!

Ind. Svc:
-Callas Rennsport (corner of 190th & Hawthorne Blvd) Ask for Tony, they only take referrals.

Alignment:
-Johnson Alignment (in the same plaza as Callas)

Body Shop:
-Phil Thearle (it's a bit of a way but they're good, they're in Santee east of San Diego)
Old 08-23-2002, 02:42 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Sorry to hear about your accident. Make sure you go after the owner of the car that hit you for the diminished value of your car, as a result of the accident (in addition to the repair costs). The guideline I heard was 10-15% of the car's value.

The extra cash from the diminished value claim should cover some mods, while it's in the shop.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2002, 07:29 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
Talking

Damn - Jonas only has 2 posts and he's already on the hook for some mods. 5 posts and he'll be supercharging, ducktailing...

Pete in DC
96 C4
Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
You wrote, Welcome to LA. For an ind. in the southbay: Callas Rennsport in Torrance.

For a bodyshop in WLA:
Avio Coach Craft

I believe Martin will be chiming in here shortly. He has got a few great recommendations further south. Or you can do a search for his rec's.

Too bad about the accident.

Well here I am. I agree with Mark. I have heard great things about Avio Coach Craft. Also Callas Rennsport in Torrance as a tuner shop. As you will discover, Johnson's Alignment is in the same complex as Callas Motorsport...lucky you. Steve Alarcon runs theplace and they have established a reputation for alignment and brake work, Porsche cars and your family wagon.

I live in N. San Diego County, my "South Bay" is near the Mexican Border.

For paint, I use Deshler's Collision Repair in Orange, CA. He just painted my 993RS tail and 993RS front splitters...incredible craftsman with pride in the work that comes out of his shop.

Welcome to So Cal, and by the way, we DO appreciate you sending us all your water. As you will see, we need to keep our golf courses greeen, we simply don't have enough water, thanks!

Old 08-24-2002, 01:46 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
have had great luck with Gary at Brace's in Venice. He does a lot of Porsche work and for service, Redline in Santa Monica (except I don't think they are taking new customers)
Old 08-24-2002, 04:07 PM
JonasInLA
AutoX

Thanks everybody for the information, insight, and recommendations. Looks like I have a few places to check out...

j

Quick Reply: Intro, and recommendations sought