Sponsored by:

Another snag in changing my ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 09:17 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Another snag in changing my ECU

Just got back from Rector today. They were trying to download the data from the existing ECU to load in the new ECU, but couldn't do it. The DME wasn't recognized by their tool. All the other systems ( heating/ABS/etc) were recognized fine.

They have a call into PCNA and I'm waiting for the response.

They said that they could program just the immob codes into the new ECU, which would make the car work, but not have any other vehicle information.

So my questions are:

a) What "other" kind of information is stroed in the DME? Vin, trans #, etc??

b) Does it matter that they can't connect to the DME? Does that indicate some other bigger problem? Does that mean they can't get the fault codes out of the car then?

c) If they just program the immbo codes into the new DME, would I run into any future problems?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 12-10-2001, 11:46 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Anybody have any ideas? Steve? Viken? Rick? Robin?

TIA!

Jeff
Old 12-11-2001, 06:30 PM
Dayton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish Jeff?

Cheers
Dayton
FVD-USA
Old 12-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by Dayton:
<STRONG>What are you trying to accomplish Jeff?

Cheers
Dayton
FVD-USA</STRONG>
I got a Turbo S ECU and am trying to install it into my car. I was under the impression that the dealer has to program the immobolizer codes into the ECU or the car won't start.

However, it appears that there is other information that the ECU knows about the car. My question is: What is this other information? Does it matter if I have it or not?

Interestingly, I installed the Turbo S ECU in my car last night and to my amazement, everything worked out fine. Even went out for a drive.

I'm a bit puzzled about this though and would appreciate any insight in this. Could the immobolizer functions in the ECU be disabled via software?

Jeff
Old 12-11-2001, 09:03 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

As I said in a different post, you can program a code into the ECU that will work in any 993TT, except that it causes a light to flash in the speedometer. The FVD ECU's, for example, will do this.

Don't worry about the 'other' information (VIN#...etc.) not being programmed into the ECU. Again, the FVD ECUs work right out of the box.

I'm assuming that you are using a factory Turbo "S" ECU? Because, if you had a FVD or one of Steve's ECUs, the car would scream when you floored it.

I would think that they should have been able to communicate with that ECU. I'm not sure why that's not happening as mine communicated with the PST2 just fine.

Rick

Quick Reply: Another snag in changing my ECU