Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch pedal hang-up...maybe fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:38 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal hang-up...maybe fixed!

I was getting tired of my clutch pedal hang up (last 1" of travel) and just a generally rough feel. I had bled the slave cylinder and before I tackled the slave replacement, I thought I'd try the lube of the shaft and pedal cluster. On my brief drive this evening.... it appears to have greatly improved both. I even had the slightly torn boot on the master cylinder just like in the p-car.diy!

Once again, thanks RENNLIST!!!

While snooping around in the engine bay looking for another DIY, I found that the prior owner had disconnected and jumpered the leads to the fan belt sensor. Sure enough plugged it in and on came the warning light.

Before I order a replacement, has anyone had any luck repairing? The little plastic wheel is still turning.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 12:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

If you manage to take apart that belt sensor, there is a lever-arm-microswitch in there. More than likely, you just need to tweak the arm to trigger the switch.. Hope this helps!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:00 AM
smithk993
Racer

Thanks for the update. Probably worth a try for $65 price of new sensor. I guess without this sensor, the first thing I might notice is that the temps are going out the roof. I've been without for three years.

Thanks.

Keith
Old 11-16-2004, 01:52 PM
cooz
Pro

I've had the same clutch pedal hang-up problem since i purchase my car 2 yrs ago. There is a factory update part (993.423.519.03) for the pedal assembly(kinematic lever) which supposedly fixes this problem. You can find more about this on the P-CAR.com website.

i'll eventually get to it as it is annoying.

Cooz 95 C2
Old 11-16-2004, 02:44 PM
smithk993
Racer

Cooz,

Yes I've poured over that DIY a couple of times and haven't yet gotten up the nerve to tear out my pedal cluster.

Anyone out there having done this DIY care to comment on the degree of difficulty say from 1-10.

Thanks.

Keith
Old 11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
upshift
Advanced

I did pretty much everything possible (fluid change, master, slave, grease linkage…) to stop the clutch hang-up but to no avail. BUT the day I changed the kinematic arm, the clutch pedal worked like new. I could see that the lever arm didn’t line up in my car from the start but I kept putting off switching to the latest arm. Some engineer definitely didn’t do his math correctly on the original lever arm.
It is a fairly simple fix – I would guess a 4 with 10 being hardest. I could see that getting both arms in there to pull out the clips and the cluster with light would be tough if you’re a big guy though. Use the DIY and it goes pretty easy. One thing I did do is keep the master hanging in the car instead of pulling it out with the cluster to save bleeding the system.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

See P-car,I just use my toe !
Old 11-16-2004, 04:32 PM
cooz
Pro

mee too.... i've been using my toe....cause I haven't wanted to take pedal assembly apart until there is some other reason to be down there like when I need a clutch & slave cylinder, etc.

cooz

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal hang-up...maybe fixed!